Sunday, December 12, 2010

Ian Woodhead Interview




1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?
I can write at any time of the day but the words that I either write down or type have already ticker taped through my head beforehand. The most productive times for creativity are last thing at night, just before I dropped off to sleep and whilst I'm walking to work. As you can imagine, both of these times can be a little inconvenient! Although, there have been many a time when I've stopped dead, leaned against a wall and brought out my trusty notepad and pen.


2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?
I would say that 90% of my projects are started with good old fashioned pen and notepad. I think this is down to my choice of vocation. I work in the retail industry and consequently, I spent most of my time on the shop floor. 

3: What do you draw inspiration from?
My inspiration comes from everywhere! God, how hard is that question? Gazing at a book spine will give me a vague idea for a story, then again so will the back of somebody's head. I saw this young mother yesterday stoop down to pick an old lottery ticket off the floor. By the time I reached home, I had had her next two day's life played out in my head. 

4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?
I've set myself goals time and time again in the past and I always broke them. whether it was the good old only 1000 words per day fave or write a page per hour. Nowadays, I don't bother.


5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?
Both, I guess. I have a couple of submitted shorts in magazines but I think I'm mainly Indie (I love that word!) my wife did the cover art of Shades of Green


6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?
Chose? No, I didn't choose this. The bloody thing just appeared twenty years ago and won't leave me alone. I've had spells of non-writing, sometimes lasting nearly a year but it always comes back.


7: Do you own an ebook reading device?
I don't have one yet but I think that will change in the new year.


8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?
Who are my favourite authors? You're having a laugh here right? Have you any idea just how long that list would be? I suppose that I could give you a selected few - Philip k Dick, John Wyndham, Iain M Banks, James Herbert... Look, I could go on for hours here. As for what I'm reading now, Well I've just finished The Invasion by William Meikle.


9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?
This is something that I've yet to look into, I know a lot of writers have constructed trailers but not me, not yet anyway, although it does sound pretty exciting!


10: How did you come up with the title of your latest book?
How did I come up with Shades of Green? To be honest, I really don't remember. Titles are a tricky thing. Sometimes a story can go for months without a title and yet other times, the title is there before I write down a single word!


11: What are you working on now that you can talk about?
The last question involves deadlines and setting goals does it! Well I'll explain what I want to do next year but whether I pull it off is another matter.
My next story is called Third Sight, it involves this demonic being that attaches itself to an unwilling individual and feeds off the victim's energy as the demon systematically butcher's everyone this victim ever knew.
I also have another three novels in various stages of completion and I'm hoping to finish and release all four in 2011.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment