Thursday, December 15, 2011

Joe R. Lansdale interview



1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?

The  morning. It can vary from six to nine when I start, but usually I work about three hours and that's it for the day. Now and again I work extra, or even start later, but it's rare. If I miss my morning slot I really have to push it. I can do it, but I don't like it. I seem best when I'm closer to dream state and the day hasn't settled in yet.

2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?

All on the computer.

3: What do you draw inspiration from?

Everything. There's no particular thing. Life. Books. Movies. Music. Radio shows. Anything can spur an idea. A loud hotel room once gave me the idea for my novel LOST ECHOES. It doesn't take much. There are times when I seem more fertile when it comes to ideas, and other times when I'm more plodding. Sometimes they come so fast I can't write them fast enough.

4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?

Yes. I set three to five pages a day. Today I did seven. Yesterday I did three. It's pretty close to finished prose, but I do a polish, and of course if the editors see something and I agree, I change it. I find by doing fewer pages, and being careful, I have less to rewrite. I work out of the subconscious mostly, then polish with the conscious.

5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?

I'm a published author. And I usually don't come up with the cover art. The publisher does, but I have a say in it. Mostly I can nix something I don't like more than I can choose what should be there, though in the small press, I can do that a little. I prefer to let artist do their work, and me do mine. I try to pick the artist I want and let them go at it.

6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?

I've always wanted to do it. I think it's simple. I like stories. I wanted to be a storyteller. Being paid for it is icing on the cake.

7: Do you own an ebook reading device?

I do. I've used it exactly three times, and look for any reason  not to use it. I prefer books, but I believe the ebook reader is important and is the paperback of the future.


8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?

I just finished King's 11/22/63. Loved it. I read a James Garner autobiography after that. Am reading a collection of short stories by Ry Cooder, and have just started WATER FOR ELEPHANTS.

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

I like them. I wish I did have some.

10: How did you come up with the title of your latest book?

It usually comes before the book, or as soon as the book idea hits. now and again that doesn’t happen, but mostly that's how it happens.

11: What are you working on now that you can talk about?

A new Young Adult novel. That's all I'll say. I'm still writing it, and therefore figuring it out as I go.








































































No comments:

Post a Comment