Saturday, May 28, 2011

Jennifer Rainey interview







1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?
 
I'm definitely most productive in the morning and afternoon (which does not always mesh well with work schedules, I'm afraid). I get too tired at night, and when I try to write it's less than beautiful work.
 
2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?
 
My brain moves too quickly for me to use paper and pen! I wish I could, because I feel like the cool kids all write their first drafts by hand, but I lose so many ideas if I can't just spit them out on the keyboard. I'm a very slow writer.
 
3: What do you draw inspiration from?
 
The most ridiculous things! Of course I am inspired by other writing, by music and other forms of art, but sometimes I feel like inspiration just comes out of nowhere. I'll be cooking grilled cheese or something and all of a sudden, I've got this idea that snowballs into an entire plotline. Perhaps grilled cheese is inspirational to me. I mean, the Virgin Mary's face does appear on it every once in a while.
 
4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?
 
I set goals in terms of scenes. When I sit down, I'll say, "Okay. Just get through this scene today. No matter how many words it takes, just get through this specific scene." I find that it works better for me that way than if I actually take word count into consideration. Then I just get all flustered.
 
5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?
 
I'm a self-published author who uses Createspace and Amazon KDP/B&N Pubit to publish my work. I designed my cover; I used to dabble in graphic design back when I wasn't sure quite what I wanted to do with my life. I use Adobe Photoshop, too, which is so much fun. I could sit on there for hours!
 
6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?
 
I'm a storyteller. I'm not in this for the money at all. My main drive is to tell stories, to make people laugh, to make people feel a connection with my characters. These Hellish Happenings used to be available online for free (back when it had a different title and it was very, very rough), and people really connected with the story and the characters. My protagonist even won an award for "Best Main Character" or something along those lines. So, I knew I wanted to publish it and get it out there to reach an even wider audience.
 
7: Do you own an ebook reading device?
 
I sure do! I own a Kindle, and I absolutely love it. I always told myself I was one of those hipsters who would never buy an ereader... then I published for Kindle and knew I had to get one and I can't live without it now! It's a modern day love story!
 
8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?
 
I love Terry Pratchett, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Neil Gaiman, Christopher Moore, Aldous Huxley... I majored in English, so the list goes on and on. I'm getting ready to read either Fool by Christopher Moore or An Apple for Zoe by Thomas Amo, and I just finished Hard Day's Knight by John Hartness.
 
9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?
 
I was planning on making one, and then I heard that they weren't terribly effective, so I scrapped the project. I still have some of the art, though, and I'm trying to find something to do with it.
 
10: How did you come up with the title of your latest book?
 
Originally the book was called In a Handbasket: My Misadventures in Hell. I switched it to These Hellish Happenings about when I completed the first draft. The new title comes from a line in the book.
 
11: What are you working on now that you can talk about?
 
I'm currently about two-thirds of the way through the first draft of the second book in the These Hellish Happenings series. It's called When Hell Freezes Over, and it takes place three years after the first book ends. After I finish that draft and while I let it sit for a month or so, I'm starting on a book of thirteen short stories that takes place in the Hell universe I've created, but is not a part of the series; it's tentatively called The Souls of Dorian Mitchell.

LINKS:





No comments:

Post a Comment