Thursday, June 3, 2010

Gina Ranalli Interview

Interview with Gina Ranalli









1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?

Usually late morning/early afternoon. I have to be pretty awake to work, so jumping out of bed and rushing over to the computer doesn't really work for me. Sometimes, the muse will strike at night, but it doesn't happen very often.

2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?

I used to write everything in longhand first, but not anymore. Now, I just put ideas, plot-points, character notes and stuff like that on paper. Lots and lots of notes.

3: What do you draw inspiration from?

Inspiration is everywhere. Dreams, conversations, music, movies, books. Sometimes just a word or phrase will spark an idea.

4: Do you set yourself goals when you sit down to write such as word count?

It depends on if I have a deadline or not. If it's something I'm just working on for myself, I tend to do a bit of slacking, but if I have a deadline, yeah, I decide on a word count and do everything in my power to hit it every day, even if that means I'm still writing at 3 AM.

5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?

I'm published and I've been lucky to work with some very talented artists because I'm really terrible at coming up with ideas for cover art. They usually suggest a bunch of different things to choose from. I think it's worked out pretty well so far.

6: What drives you to chose the career of being a writer?

It's the only thing I've ever wanted to do and at this point, probably the only thing I can do. I doubt that will ever change.

7: Do you own an ebook reading devise?

No, I don't. Maybe once the prices come down a little I'll invest in one.

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?

I love Tom Robbins, Vonnegut, Dorothy Parker, Charles de Lint, Kerouac, the list goes on and on. I'm also really into the work of Andersen Prunty right now. I'm currently reading Mister Slaughter by Robert McCammon.

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

I don't really have an opinion. I haven't seen one yet that made me want to run out and buy a book I wouldn't have bought otherwise, so I'm not sure if they really have any marketing value or not. They're fun if they're done well, but otherwise, I'm pretty indifferent to them.

10: What are you working on now that you can talk about?

I'm working on a horror novel, but can't say much about it at this point. With any luck, it should be seeing the light of day right around the time of Halloween.




No comments:

Post a Comment