Saturday, January 22, 2011

Katie Klein Interview




1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?
It depends on how inspired I'm feeling, and what I'm doing at the time. I'm a mom, so my best times for writing are usually when my daughter is at school, or after she goes to bed. There are so many things going on at any given moment; I've learned it's important to be as flexible as possible. Those spare minutes must be used wisely!
2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?
It varies from project to project. I usually brainstorm with pen and paper. I'll fill up pages and pages of notebook paper trying to get my ideas down. When it comes time to write, though, it's all on computer. My brain moves way too fast for my writing hand to ever keep up.
3: What do you draw inspiration from?
Everywhere! Especially movies/tv, conversations with people, music, artwork. . . . I try not to overanalyze everything, but I'm always asking "what if," and expanding on what I'm seeing/hearing.
4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?
I like to have an idea in mind of what I want to accomplish when I sit down to write. I'm happy if I can write one full scene a day, though (between 1,000-2,000 words). If I try to push further, I find that my brain shuts down.
5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?
I am both a traditionally published author and an indie. My indie novel is written under a pen name. I didn't have any input on the cover of my traditionally published novel, so I was kind of excited to have full control over the cover of THE GUARDIAN. I do have  a tiny bit of graphic design experience, so when it came time to design it, I just studied the various covers on my shelves and tried to pull in elements that I liked.
6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?
Writing chose me, I think. I was always telling stories as a kid and writing down story ideas, naming characters, etc. It wasn't until I was in college, though, that I really began to think I could be a writer for a living. The job has its ups and downs, but I can't imagine doing anything else. Even on the worst days, I always come back to the story; it's in me, and I have to get it out.
7: Do you own an ebook reading device?
Not yet, but it's coming soon. J
8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?
I read mostly YA (young adult) fiction. Some of my favorite authors include Sarah Dessen, Stephenie Meyer (of course!), Libba Bray and Anna Godbersen. Right now I have Garcia and Stohl (BEAUTIFUL CREATURES), Deb Caletti, Susane Colasanti, Becca Fitzpatrick, and Courtney Summers in my To Be Read pile.
9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?
I like book trailers, actually, and I've made one for the Guardian. It's something quick I did with Animoto. You can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDKdnrYIRRM
If done correctly, I think they add to the appeal of a novel.
10: How did you come up with the title of your latest book?
I knew I wanted to write about a young girl's relationship with her Guardian Angel. Instead of angels, through, they call themselves Guardians. It was easy to come up with the title from there, and it says everything. J
11: What are you working on now that you can talk about?
I just finished revisions on another young adult manuscript (contemporary realistic), so I'm trying to decide which route to take as far as publishing goes. Otherwise, I've already drafted an outline for a sequel to The Guardian. I plan to start working on that very soon. If I can get it uploaded as an ebook by summer, I'll be happy.
Thank you so much for letting me drop by!

No comments:

Post a Comment