Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Daniel Arenson Interview




1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?

I write on Sunday afternoons.  The weekend chores are done, and I have several hours before the weekend ends.  I slowly sip coffee and write.


2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?

I wrote my last few novels long hand.  Actually, the notebook I wrote "Eye of the Wizard" in is sitting beside me as I type this.  I'm using it as a coaster.  I'm so disrespectful to my art.


3: What do you draw inspiration from?

Aardvarks.  They're fascinating!  There are no aardvarks in my novels, but I do find that looking at those ant-eating snouts kickstarts my muse.  Oh, also:  history, mythology, and my favorite authors.


4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?

Usually, yeah.  I try to write about 1000 words an hour.  If I have a full day to write, I'll aim for 5000 or 6000 words.


5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?

My first novel, "Firefly Island", was published at Five Star Publishing.  I released my next three novels independently as ebooks.  I work with talented artists to create my covers.  I describe the story and characters to my artists, quote a few passages from the book, and let them do their job.

You can see my covers here:  http://danielarenson.com/FantasyNovelsKindleEbooks.aspx


6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?

I love stories – whether they're books, movies, or even stories told in artwork.  Being a writer is a way to invent my own stories and share them with people.


7: Do you own an ebook reading device?

I own a Kobo named Koby and a Kindle named Ethel Merman.


8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?

I'm currently reading "Wizard and Glass" by Stephen King.  Some of my favorite authors (in no particular order) are Roger Zelazny, George R. R. Martin, Neil Gaiman, J.K. Rowling, Issac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, and J.R.R. Tolkien.


9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

Many book trailers I've seen look rather amateurish.  I suppose I wouldn't object to a professionally made book trailer, but I don't know how necessary they are.  I generally just prefer reading a blurb and sample.



10: How did you come up with the title of your latest book?

Well, originally I was going to name my book "Earlobe of the Wizard".  I still think that's a great title.  But it seemed to confuse people, so I changed it to "Eye of the Wizard".  Yes, I sold out.


11: What are you working on now that you can talk about?

I'm working on an epic fantasy trilogy.  After four standalone novels, it's time to write a series.  It'll be dark, operatic, and aardvark-free.  I'll let you know when the first book is ready.

Thanks, Kipp!


My website:  www.DanielArenson.com

Eye of the Wizard on Kindle:  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LLIC3Q

Kindle UK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004LLIC3Q

Smashwords:  http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/40088



More details about Eye of the Wizard:  http://www.danielarenson.com/EyeOfTheWizard.aspx

Thanks!

Daniel



No comments:

Post a Comment