Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Valmore Daniels Interview Angel Fire: The First Book of Fallen Angels



My name is Darcy Anderson, and I am cursed with a dark power: Whenever my life is in danger, something inside me summons elemental fire to protect me. I cannot control this.
One night, I was attacked in my home. The fire ... it raged out of control. I survived the inferno, but my house burned to the ground - with my parents inside.
I was at a loss to explain to the courts what happened, and so they sent me to prison for ten years for manslaughter.
Now I'm out on parole, and all I want is to return to my home town and rebuild my life; but the man who attacked me is back to finish the job he started.
I can sense the power in me growing. If I can't control it, it will control me and destroy everything - and everyone - I love.




1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?

Mornings are the best, especially after a good night’s sleep. I’m full of energy and once I start, I can easily get into the “groove”.

2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?

I do pretty much everything on the computer, and start several text documents with notes, outlines, character sheets and research. I’m constantly toggling back and forth between these documents as I write.

3: What do you draw inspiration from?

I have a runaway imagination, and I’m always picturing different scenarios. In my head, I probably write an additional book’s worth of back-story for each novel.

4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?

I still work full time, so my daily goals vary. I usually try to write a “scene” in each writing session – sometimes the scene is less than a thousand words, sometimes more than two thousand. I find this is easier to tackle than looking for a specific word count as a goal.

5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?

According to Amazon, I’m a “Direct Publisher” and I love having control over every aspect of the publishing process. For my previous projects, I found existing cover art, licensed it and then designed the lettering. For “Angel Fire: The First Book of Fallen Angels”, I had a specific vision in my mind what I wanted the illustration to look like, but many of the artists I contacted wanted far too much money. So I grabbed some stock images and photo-manipulated them until I got it where I was happy with the end product.

6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?

My imagination is way out of control; the only way to temper my thoughts is to organize and write them down. I would love to be able to make a living as a novelist, but even if I were never paid a penny for my writing, I would still write.

7: Do you own an ebook reading device?

I recently purchased a Kindle, and it was the best thing I’ve done. I love it.

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?

I’ve read the traditional authors in SF and F since I was a kid. As I’ve become aware of the amazing indie talent over the past year, I find the majority of my purchases are independent authors. I really like how they are not constrained by the traditional model, and are able to take chances with form, structure, character and other aspects. I’m currently reading “Luminous and Ominous” by Noah K. Mullette-Gillman. Very good writing there.

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

I did a book trailer for my previous book, and while I received a few compliments, I’m not convinced the time and effort translated into enough increased awareness. I will most likely forego creating a trailer for “Angel Fire: The First Book of Fallen Angels”.

10: How did you come up with the title of your latest book?

My grandmother was a very religious and superstitious person. When she was young, one of her cousins died in her sleep from a fire that burned her to death, but did not spread to the rest of the bedroom. She called this Angel Fire – a punishment from god for past sins. That stuck with me, and I’ve always wanted to write something with that theme in mind.

11: What are you working on now that you can talk about?

I’m currently working on “Music of the Spheres: The Interstellar Age Book 2” – sequel to “Forbidden The Stars”, and I hope to release it Summer 2011.

You can find information and links for all my books at http://www.ValmoreDaniels.com




http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004K6MHSI

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/38519

No comments:

Post a Comment