Friday, June 3, 2011

Connor Dix Interview





1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?
So far, my most productive time is in the evening, from 7:00 to about 10:00, or on the weekends as soon as I wake up. If this was a full-time job (fingers crossed) it could be any time of day. I like having a laptop so I can get started anywhere, anytime. If I had to sit at a desk in one spot every day I would never get anything done.

2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?
It varies, all depending where I am. Most of the time I’ll write something down, and try to flesh it out from there. I want to get a notebook for outlining, my ideas come better handwritten. When I type the outline it feels like I’ve already written the story and that’s no good. I can’t get into it.

3: What do you draw inspiration from?
I draw inspiration from every day life. Without thinking about it, my brain takes a snapshot of something, anything and says “Hey! There’s a story here!” I am just about to start a short horror story called The Men’s Room that I came up with when I walked into the bathroom at work and the lights were off. It was jarring and the story came to me in about two seconds. I went back to my desk and wrote the outline on scrap paper. I think it’s going to be good.

4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?
I never have any goals. Some days, or nights, it’s just not there. The only thing I really set out to do when I start writing is finish the scene. I don’t try to sit down and finish a certain number of words, I think that would actually slow me down.

5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?
I am a fully self-published author. From the first word or the outline to the Word file I save and upload to Kindle or Smashwords, it’s all me. For cover art, I use J. Simmons Illustration. It’s a good fit and the covers have really turned out well. He just went freelance and it’s amazing how it’s taking off. Check him out: http://www.jsimmonsillustration.blogspot.com

6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?
That’s easy: my head is full of stories. The problem is that I have a day job and I can’t get them out fast enough.

7: Do you own an ebook reading device?
Oh yeah. I own a Kindle that my wife got me for Christmas and I absolutely love it. Before that, I had the app on my Android phone and really enjoyed it. I have worked my way through a lot of classics on the Kindle and Kindle app. I’d like to reformat them, a lot of them are really hard to read because of the terrible formatting.

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?
My favorite author is Cormac McCarthy. I’ve read a handful of his books and am determined to read them all. The man really paints a good, violent picture and I can’t get enough of it. I’m also a huge Robert B. Parker fan and I like to read or listen to an Elmore Leonard book every year.

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?
I don’t really have anything to say on book trailers. I never watch them. I like to read on the Internet, not watch videos. I have some kind of annoying mental block. But, that being said, if you know of any that are awesome, I’d be willing to check them out. Change my mind, I’m just stubborn. I honestly can’t say if I’d ever do one or not. Book trailers are weird to me and totally off my radar.

10: How did you come up with the title of your latest book?
My latest book, the novella Dead Hooker I came up with for the shock value and I was hoping it would look good on a cover. I wanted it to be a title that got your attention right away. The story is very fast paced, action-packed and a little frightening.

11: What are you working on now that you can talk about?
Right now, I just published the novella Dead Hooker, which is a story in the Clark County Series that started in Bad Case. It’s actually a short story that leads into the sequel to Bad Case, which I hope to have out next year. I’m also writing a fun horror short story called The Men’s Room, wish I hope to be as terrifying on paper as it is in my head. I have the outline started and the title for my next full-length book, but I have to keep it to myself. I feel like it is original and I’d like to unleash it all at once.


No comments:

Post a Comment