Friday, June 24, 2011

Nicholas McGirr interview



1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write? 

Usually early mornings. They are most productive when you have a fresh outlook from the day before.

2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer? A little of both. I find that my computer isn't always where I am, so I tend to carry the classic Composition Notebooks and plenty of pens wherever I go.

3: What do you draw inspiration from?
Music and the Greek Gods. I have been a musician since I was a child and my father is a musician as well. The Greek Gods have always intrigued me, so I decided to put my favorite things together and write about music and Greek Mythology all wrapped up into a new spin on how we as humans perceive the Gods.

4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?

Never. I write what comes, plain and simple. If I happen to write three chapters in one day or three words, it's always about setting aside the time to write and research. 

5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?

Self published. My cover art for the paperback version I asked my wife to draw up based on what she saw out of the book. The ebook version, I wanted to try my hand at a little photography.
6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?
I've always loved writing and telling stories. After finding that my adolescent rock star dream wasn’t going to come true, I began writing. 

7: Do you own an ebook reading device? Yes, I own the original black and white nook.

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now? Right now, I’m reading House by Ted Dekker and Frank Perretti. Some of my faves in the past have been Edgar Allan Poe, Stephen King, and any tales I can find on Greek Mythology.

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any? Over the past year, I’ve noticed a lot of different types of marketing tricks and seeing which ones work. As for now, I have no plans on creating a book trailer. 

10: How did you come up with the title of your latest book? The Growing Dim Project was a contradiction in the title, and I love irony. I’m also a big fan of not really getting the title until you read the book. That’s exactly the case with The Growing Dim Project.

11: What are you working on now that you can talk about?
Currently, I’m working on two projects. The sequel to Book One: The Growing Dim Project which is entitled Book Two: Popular Jazz. This book will answer a lot of the questions that are brought up in Book One taking out some of the mystery and will hook the reader to wanting more of this series.
The second project I have is releasing Life of Death into ebook format. This was a project written long before The Growing Dim Project was even thought of. 


http://www.amazon.com/Growing-Dim-Project-Book-ebook/dp/B004WLPWRE/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1308944585&sr=1-1

No comments:

Post a Comment