Sunday, September 18, 2011

Anne Holly interview






1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?

Early in the morning, between 4 and 7am, and late at night, between 11pm and 3am. Sometimes all day, if I can get some time to do it.

2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?

I outline with pen and paper, but I almost entirely write on computer now, except for scraps of dialogue or description that come to me when I’m away from the keyboard. I wrote my first novel by hand, and I’m writing a couple of personal pieces by hand.

3: What do you draw inspiration from?

Everywhere. Life around me, my own experiences, watching people, actors I like, people I’ve known. It all goes into the mill.

4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?

I do 1k a day, without fail, with 1-6k on my writing days. I usually make it. I have to set goals, since I am often tired and wanting to go to bed, since I write after my son goes to bed, usually – this way, I can tell myself not to quit until I’ve hit the count.

5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?

I am published with small presses, so the covers usually fall to the companies, though I’ve generally had a lot of chance to give input. All the presses I’ve worked for have asked me to provide descriptions of what I’d like, and then I can let them know if I have suggestions/issues when I see the first draft. The cover for my contemporary Canadian romance Strings Attached, I personally commissioned the artist, Amanda Wood, because I wanted a dramatic, northern feel, and I knew what I wanted. Normally, though, we go with the couple and a few choice symbols of the season/setting/situation.

6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?

I have a regular career, along side writing, so in a sense writing fiction is not my main career. I chose to do it because I love it, and I’m good at it. Sometimes, I wonder if I’m nuts taking it along side my day job and raising a child, but it makes me a little bit of money, and I find being read very rewarding.

7: Do you own an ebook reading device?

I don’t, except for three or four programs for my PC (Kindle for PC, Adobe Digital and Copia). I’d like a Kindle or Nook some day, maybe, but not with a very active three year old in the house.

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?

I am a fan of Jane Austen, the Brontes, Graham Greene, George Bernard Shaw, Dickens, Trollope, and most of the Victorians. I don’t read a lot of very new fiction, as I’m still catching up on the classics. I get a lot of second hand paperback romances from family, though, since there is a thriving trade circle with those. I read a lot of nonfiction, for my work and my enjoyment. I’m always reading three or four books at a time, so it’s hard to list what I’m reading at the moment. I’m working my way through Order of the Phoenix again, though.

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

I kind of like making book trailers for my books, as it gives me some neat promo stuff for my blog, but, to be honest, I don’t think they do much good. I’ve never, ever bought a book because of a trailer, and never once heard from someone that any of my trailers sold them on my book. It’s something to try, but I don’t think it’s a major necessity.

10: How did you come up with the title of your latest book?

This one that I’m writing now, it came to me in a flash as I was trying to fall asleep. Most of my books, I have titles during the writing phase, though one of them I had to change after release, and another I really struggled with right up until I was about to submit it to publishers – I had to mooch for suggestions and feedback from other writers for that one.

11: What are you working on now that you can talk about?

Right now, I am trying my hand at a paranormal shifter romance, which is not my usual field at all. But, I wanted to do something different, and a little darker than my regular stuff, which is usually quite happy. I especially wanted to make the female the shifter – why should guys get all the fun of turning into wolves and things? Females should have some superpowers once in a while, too.


Anne Holly is a Canadian writer of romance and erotic-romance, as well as a mother and teacher. She is the author of the novel Strings Attached, which was described by The Romance Reviews as “a classic contemporary romance.” She is currently at work editing the remaining installments in her five story holiday erotic-romance series published by Rebel Ink, as well as perpetually producing new stories. She has been published by Wild Horse Press, Decadent Publishing and Rebel Ink Press. Anne’s work is characterized by its unusual heroes, sweet/spicy balance, witty dialogue, responsible citizenship, and its positive, optimistic nature. You may visit Anne at her blog or website, or find her on GoodReads, Facebook and Twitter (@anneholly2010). You can find all of her releases on Amazon.

webpage







1 comment: