Monday, June 7, 2010

Brandon Ford Interview


Interview with Brandon Ford













1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?

Definitely late at night, when it’s most quiet. I find it’s much easier to be distracted in the daylight.

2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?

The majority of my writing is done longhand. I’m quite fond of yellow legal pads and notebooks. I adore putting pen to paper. Computers are great for printing, but I don’t think they’ll ever replace the thrill and satisfaction of writing the old-fashioned way.

3: What do you draw inspiration from?

I do a lot of reading, so I would have to say that most of my inspiration comes from the authors I embrace. I try to surround myself with a wide variety of voices and styles. Helps me continue to develop my own.

4: Do you set yourself goals when you sit down to write such as word count?

I don’t give myself a set-in-stone quota, but I have an estimated amount of work I’d like to complete in any particular writing session. Like finishing a chapter or a final edit.

5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?

All of my works are small press endeavors. I’ve never self-published anything. As far as cover art goes, that is mostly left up to the publisher, but as the author, I definitely have a say. For my second novel, SPLATTERED BEAUTY, I held a contest where I gave contributors the synopsis of the book and a short excerpt and told them to go from there. I received some incredible submissions from some amazing artists. The winner ended up being a New York-based artist by the name of Konnik. He has also gone on to design the artwork for CREEPING SHADOWS, a collection of three short novels penned by me and a couple of other small press authors, Alan Draven and Jessica Lynne Gardner.

6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?

I recently read an interview with Stephen King and he was asked the very same question. I was blown away by his response: “What makes you think I had a choice?” I feel the exact same way. Being a writer has and always will be apart of who I am.

7: Do you own an ebook reading devise?

I don’t. I’m not sure if that’s something I’ll ever embrace. I love books far too much. The way they look, the way they smell, that wonderful cracking sound the spine makes. Reading a book on a little monitor just isn’t the same.

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and what are you reading now?

Some of my favorite authors are Jack Ketchum, Richard Laymon, David Sedaris, Chelsea Handler, and Roald Dahl. There aren’t many authors I read faithfully, but these guys take up a lot of room on my shelves. I’m currently reading ROLE MODELS by John Waters, one of my favorite cult filmmakers.

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

I love ‘em! I think they’re a really neat way to promote a book. Cult filmmaker Tim Ritter (TRUTH OR DARE, KILLING SPREE) created a wonderful trailer for SPLATTERED BEAUTY. And Konnik also put together a nice little trailer to promote CREEPING SHADOWS. Both of them are available on YouTube.

10: What are you working on now that you can talk about?

There are a couple of novels I’m currently working on, one of which I’ve picked up and put down several times over the past 4 years or so. Hopefully I’ll finish it one of these days. And I’m always working on short stories. I have a few in the works currently.








No comments:

Post a Comment