Friday, December 31, 2010

Tammie Clarke Gibbs Interview





1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?
 Evenings work best for me especially when I’m working on one of my time-travel, gothic or suspense novels.

2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?
 I have started projects with pen and paper, but lately almost everything I do is on the computer.

3: What do you draw inspiration from?
 I can become inspired by most anything. I love antique shopping and love older houses. I’m a Realtor, so showing homes can even be inspirational if the house has either a real history or imagined one attached to it.

4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?
 Not unless I’m under a specific deadline.  I usually don’t try to think about word count or pages at all because it tends to overwhelm the process when too much time is spent thinking about the blank pages ahead.

5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?
 I’m both. I have several projects that were self-published and others traditionally published.  I’m a graphic artist as well so I usually scour image sites for ideas then relay those suggestions to the person actually doing the graphic work.

6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?
 I’ve always loved to read. When I was in High School I had to take a Short Story class and write a short story each week.  The teacher told me I had found what I needed to do with my life. From that point on he shared all of my stories each week with all the teachers in the lounge.  So, I got lots of feedback.  I realized that the only thing more gratifying for a writer than finishing a story was having that story read by others.  I don’t think that I chose to be a writer I think that writing chose me.

7: Do you own an ebook reading device?
 Yes! I love my Kindle. It was a Christmas Gift from my husband.

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?
 Jude Devearux, Lynn Kurland…too many to list..  I am finishing up a novel so I’m reading mostly non-fiction at the moment. I try not to read fiction when I am actively writing to avoid having what I’m reading influence my plot.

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?
 I really like the book trailers and I’m currently working on one for ISLAND OF SECRETS.

10: How did you come up with the title of your latest book?
 ISLAND OF SECRETS sort of named itself. I’ve found with some books the title just happens. Other books are harder and it’s frustrating when you work with a title for a long time and then realize that another book just came out with that title and that your title has to be changed.

11: What are you working on now that you can talk about?
 I’m currently finishing up a Mid-Western Historical set in Malden Grove, Illinois.  It’s full of small town charm, humorous scenes and plenty of intrigue.  In the first scene of the book, Magen McGuire literally runs the hero down with her wagon then realizes her reputation might be the price she’ll have to pay to right the wrong.  Jeremy Loud has a job to do and plenty of secrets of his own.  Then he wakes up naked, disoriented and in physical pain with a woman busy at his stove.

No comments:

Post a Comment