Sunday, November 21, 2010

Bridget Squires Interview




1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?

I write usually late at night around 11 pm. I find that I can concentrate more and the dark inspires my own deeply disturbing thought process.

2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?

I actually start on my stories on the notepad section of my blackberry cell phone. After I have a basic storyline I transfer the writing to my email then to Microsoft word where I edit and add to the story as needed.

3: What do you draw inspiration from?

The darkness within all people inspires me the most. When put in certain situations I can't help but wonder "What would I do?" and I formulate a plotline from there. I take everyday events that take place in my life and add horror movie questions like "If the zombie apocalypse occurred while I was shopping how would I handle it?" or "If I was a serial killer, how would I choose and end my victims lives" and go from there. Everyone has a dark part deep down inside and that is what I consider when writing.

4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?

I cannot write long tales because I get sidetracked so I actually do not restrict myself with goals. Instead I break stories up into sections I write over the course of several weeks. This builds suspense and hopefully gets my readers looking for their next fix to discover what is going to happen next.

5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?

I find power in self publishing. I cannot imagine the stress and time constraints writers for publishers have. Those guidelines simply do not work for me since I am a full time college student and mother. My cover art is of my own creation. I find I am becoming more and more creative as I go. I try to incorporate my stories darkness into the cover so it speaks for itself. Also I have a good friend who has now offered to create my art for me so soon I should have more professional covers soon.

6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?

I love writing and have been since I was a child. I have a wild imagination and a drive to entertain people which only further pushes me to refine my work. I may never be a well known famous writer but if a dozen or more people read my work than I am happy to bring a story they enjoyed. That is why I do not charge for my books. Entertainment should be free in my opinion. I just want people to appreciate my work and gain some sort of enjoyment out of it that's all.

7: Do you own an ebook reading device?

No I do not. I am actually hoping for a Kindle for Christmas. Fingers crossed.

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?

Ian Woodard, Garry Charles, Rusty Fischer and of course Kipp Poe Speicher. I prefer to find authors I enjoy on smashwords.com. Right now I am reading "Sex in the time of zombies" by William Todd Rose.

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

Book trailers are alright but I don't think I would incorporate them into my publishing simply because I do not have a long enough attention span to create something that complex much less the equipment.

10: How did you come up with the title of your latest book?

The Dead Don't series came from one of my late night brainstorming sessions. From a killers perspective victims are simply pawns on a chessboard and nothing more. In death there is a silence and simplicity that most lack so that is how I created the series title.

11: What are you working on now that you can talk about?

I am currently working on two stories. One is the fourth book of The Dead Don't series called "The Dead Don't Beg" which is centered around the brutality described in detail that each victim endures. Also I have a story called "Slaves to the Living" which centers around zombies, my favorite topic to write about.

Check out her work on SMASHWORDS.com

No comments:

Post a Comment