Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Garry Charles Interview


1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?

I work a regular night shift, Mon-Thur, 9.30 at night whilst 5.30 in the morning. So I have to be productive in the afternoon around midday.

But this isn't my best time. I much prefer writing between 4.30 at 8.30 in the morning. I think it has something to do with the silence of the house at that time.


2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?

I vary a lot on this. Most things I start with pen and paper and, if it feels right, I'll finish it that way. If it doesn't feel right I'll move to the PC.

I doubt that makes much sense as how can I describe it as a feeling... I can't. Its like the style each story takes, it does so because it feels right.

Or may be I'm just strange.


3: What do you draw inspiration from?

Last night at work I was going down the stairs and on each step there was a drop of water. Each drop was bigger than the last. I followed the trail down the stairs and out the door, only to find it was raining and had destroyed any further evidence.

That alone inspired me to write and I started doing so during my break. Everything around us can hold a dark undertone. You just have to know where to look.


4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?

No... I just sit down and write. If the story is flowing (which it usually is) I'll carry on until the kids get home from school.

For me its all about time. I wish I had more of it as then I could write more than I do now.

5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?

I've got a foot in both camps. I have short stories published in a variety of magazines and a double novella entitled "Tranquil Disturbances" coming out from Skullvines Press later this year.

My wife set up Hadesgate Publications (now Hadesgate Multi Media Productions) and published my first three novels, along with a variety of other talented authors.

Since then I have moved into publishing my own stuff via the ebook market. With this I have full control of the content and the look. For certain projects I like this way of publishing.

6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?

I just want to make a wage doing what I love doing... If I could make writing pay the bills I would be the happiest man alive.


7: Do you own an ebook reading device?

Not yet... I like books, but soon... very soon I shall be the proud owner of a Notion Ink Adam which is a tablet that is going to make quite an impact when its released.

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?

I've always been a fan of Shaun Hutson, Stephen King, James Herbert, Clive Barker. I think all horror readers are.

In recent years I've become an avid follower of Brian Keene... Love his stuff.

I've just finished reading "Tooth and Nail" by Craig DiLouie, probably the best zombie style book this year. And I am currently reading "BLOOD ORCHARD" by SD Hintz which is real mindf**k of a read.


9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

I love book trailers. I think they are a fantastic way of advertising books on the net.

I have just had one created by the very talented Louis Murrall for Shredder and you can see it here: http://www.vimeo.com/16559243


10: How did you come up with the title of your latest book?

I always like to name a story or a novella before I start writing, another little quirk of mine.

Knowing that this one was also going to be a film script I wanted to keep the title short and sharp. One quick think about what my creature looked like and the title Shredder just stuck.


11: What are you working on now that you can talk about?

I'm currently working on a few things with Tim Watchorn and Julie Fernandez. Not sure how much I can or can't see but I can give a hint... If this pulls off there will be something special heading for your TV screen soon.

I shall be pushing Shredder out now as hard as I can, attempt to build a following for the title so that the film will be slightly easier to pitch.

Lots of writing to do. A few short stories and a new novel to start.

If your readers fancy getting to know me a bit more they are invited to take a look around www.garrycharles.co.uk

Lots of free fiction over there and some video footage, including a short film I wrote entitled "Love is a Bullet" and directed by the amazing Adrian Chappell.

They'll also find a trailer for a project I am writing and directing with my eldest son, Ray.

I hope they enjoy the visit.
"Lots of writing to do. A few short stories and a new novel to start."

I'm also writing reviews now for the new UK Horror Magazine, Shock Horror. As you can see my time is pretty much spoken for.





No comments:

Post a Comment