Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Jason Krumbine Interview























1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?

It used to be first thing in the morning. Then it was late at night. Now it’s really any time I find to sit down and stay away from the Internet. There’s just too many videos of kittens doing cute things on YouTube!!

2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?

Every project starts with pen and paper. I have an iPhone, an iPad, and an iMac. I loooove my technology, but there’s something about the feel of a pen against paper as you write that. So, all of my first drafts are done by hand. When I start typing it up, that becomes my second draft as I end up changing a bunch of stuff on the go. And because I’m paranoid about backing things up, and since there’s no actual back up system for handwriting, I start typing up my second draft while I’m hand writing my first draft. So, it kind of feels like I’m in a constant state of rewrite.

3: What do you draw inspiration from?

I draw inspiration from pretty much anything. If I visit a unique building, see an interesting person on the street, it’s all fodder for my work. A really bad movie or bad book inspires me, too. I sit there and go, “Well, I totally do that a thousand times better.”

4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?

I don’t set a word count, but I do set a page count. I like to get at least 5 pages written every day. Usually, if I’m on a roll, I’ll do more. But at 5 pages I feel productive.

5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?

I am a self-published author. I’ve designed all of my cover art and it’s an ongoing process. For example, since it’s been published, Fruitbasket from Hell has gone through 3 different covers. Since I’m a writer and not an artist, graphic design is an ongoing learning experience. Some times I’ll learn something on the new book and want to double back and apply to the older books. There’s nothing worse than having a book cover I know is bad, but not knowing how to fix it.

6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?

I just love to write. I’m at my happiest whenever I’ve managed to do a little writing every day.

7: Do you own an ebook reading device?

I used to have a Kindle. I graduated to the iPad earlier this year and sold my Kindle. I do all my reading through the iPad now. Thankfully I can still get all my Kindle books through there, too!

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?

Stephen King, Neil Gaiman, Jaspher Fforde, Victor Gischler. Right now I’m reading all thirteen issues of Girschler’s run on Deadpool: Merc With a Mouth. Funny, funny, funny stuff.

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

My offical take on book trailers is, “Meh.” Sometimes they’re good, most of the time they’re not. I don’t really plan on trying them out for any of my books.

10: How did you come up with the title of your latest book?

My latest book, Outlawed Love, was actually titled by my wife. I’m not sure how she came up with it, but I loved it. My next book, a new Alex Cheradon novel, is tentatively titled, Little People, Big Crimes, is a take off of TLC’s Little People, Big World.

11: What are you working on now that you can talk about?

As I mentioned above, I’m working on my third AC novel, Little People, Big Crimes. This is the third in the series after Fruitbasket from Hell and A is for Amnesia, B is for Bullet. I’m shooting for Jan 2011 release.


No comments:

Post a Comment