Thursday, July 28, 2011

Faith Boscawen Interview




1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?


For me it's early in the morning. I wake, I fix my coffee, and I step into the world of my characters—as easy as taking a shower in the morning. I discovered that for me, trying to write after a long day job seemed less productive. I couldn't follow plots, or keep up with characters. It took a few false starts to find that sweet spot, but I did.


2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?


I start with paper and pen because it usually happens, meaning the idea comes to me in the middle of driving, or a meeting, or at lunch or dinner. Sometimes in the middle seeing a movie. But once I get the initial idea going I find the time to create a Scrivener file for it and write it all down as fast as I can.


3: What do you draw inspiration from?


Everything. Movies, television, books, comics, anime, friends' stories, watching people. That's what makes being a writer so fantastic! A story can come from life itself.


4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?


Yes. I try to do a minimum of 500 words a day. My goal is 2K if I can. And if I can do that in the morning, then I'm not as stressed in the afternoons when I need to run errands or have to work late.


5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?


Self-published. I tried to go the traditional route, but it's hard to break into the mystery field. As for my covers, I have a friend who's a graphic artist and he's been supportive of my efforts. He does them for me free of charge.


6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?


I can't NOT write. My day job has a lot of traveling in it and has for several years. I found writing as a way of coping with being in new places and meeting new people. Spending night after night in different hotel rooms in different cities—it's sometimes easier if I can write about it. And even better if I can place my characters there. When my job demands long hours, sometimes 14 to 16 hour days, and I can't get to the computer or a piece of paper to write, then I find I'm more stressed. I have to write.


7: Do you own an ebook reading device?


Yes. I have a Kindle and I love it! But I also read on my 'Droid and my iTouch.


8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?


I have a mix. I love David Baldacci, Dan Brown, Tami Hoag, James Patterson, and Barbara Michaels. I'm reading all the time and learning.


9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?


I like them, but I haven't had the time or money to either put one together or pay someone too. I'm not sure they actually help sell the book, but they are entertaining.


10: How did you come up with the title of your latest book?


Dead In Hell at the Masquerade came out of a writing assignment in a creative writing class I took a few years back. We were working on setting and just before the class I'd visited the Masquerade in Atlanta with some friends. The club is divided into three stories, with Hell being the basement were patrons can dance. I'd been sitting at a stool and watching everyone and the idea of using it as a title sort of stuck.


11: What are you working on now that you can talk about?


A bigger book. My first two have been rather short. The latest Speed McNally starts with him taking a picture of something he shouldn't have while he's visiting DC. The discovery of this picture combined with the might behind a political figure sets Speed on a race to find someone he can trust to save his life. It's proven to be a lot of fun. And I hope readers think it will be as well.





No comments:

Post a Comment