Sunday, July 24, 2011

Wenona Hulsey Interview





1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?

My most productive time of day tends to be after 9 pm. I’m a mom to two wonderful children and I work a full time job so I have to wait until the house is quite so I can focus.

2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?

I prefer to write on my laptop but several chapters of my upcoming release “Burden of Blood” were written with pen and paper. The area where I live was affected by the horrific tornados that devastated so many lives this past April. Luckily, my home didn’t suffer any damage but we were without power for three days. So during the daylight hours, I would sit outside in the sun and write with good, old fashioned, pen and paper.

3: What do you draw inspiration from?

I’m an avid reader and music lover because that is what makes me truly feel emotions that run deep into my soul. I love when I read the last page of a book and I’m instantly sad because the ride is over. That feeling is what inspires me to write. I want others to feel that from my work.

4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?

Yes, I set goals because my writing time is so limited. I’ve learned that if I don’t give myself a way to track my progress, at times, I get frustrated because I feel like I’m getting nowhere. But if I can look back over the week and say “I’ve written four thousand words this week”, then I feel a since of accomplishment.

5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?

I recently self-published my short story “Blood Awakening” but my novel, “Burden of Blood” is being published by Trestle Press Publishing. The covers for each one just kind of created themselves. As the stories were coming together in my head so were the cover ideas.

6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?

Right now, I am still dreaming of the day when writing can be my career. That is a day that most writers beg for but few see. I write because I love to and if my work is loved to the point where I can quit the day job, then great but if it doesn’t I’ll still be writing. I feel empty without a story bouncing around in my head, waiting for me to type it out and share it with those willing to listen. That creative spark makes me happy so, I keep writing.

7: Do you own an ebook reading device?

Yes, I own a Kindle. It’s always with me wherever I go.

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?

Steven King as always been a favorite of mine, even though I don’t write horror. I’ve also found several Indie published authors such as HP Mallory and Nicky Charles who are great paranormal romance authors. I’m currently reading “Spell Checked” by C.G. Powell and “Dark Corners” by Liz Schulte, both are indie published authors also.

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

I have seen some very well done book trailers but I’m not sure if I will ever have one. I had never heard of a book trailer until I started looking into book promotions and I’m afraid that most people are clueless to them right now too. I don’t want to waste time and money on something that no one will take the time to see.

10: How did you come up with the title of your latest book?

The title “Burden of Blood” basically tells how Nicole feels at this point in her life. She has been thrown into a world that she didn’t ask for, all because of powers she inherited. She would give anything to have a normal life again and tries to hide from her destiny.

11: What are you working on now that you can talk about?

I’m working on the novel that will continue the story that starts in “Burden of Blood”. I’m still working on a title for this wip.

Author Wenona Hulsey is a lover of all things written. When she was a child, you could find her reading anything from Edger Allen Poe to the back of cereal boxes. Today you will find her with an ebook reader glued to her hands except for the times when she is writing or spending time with her family. She is also an avid social networker who loves to meet new people. You can friend her on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/WenonaHulsey, like her on Facbook http://www.facebook.com/WenonaHulseyAuthor or follow along on her blog http://wenonahulsey.blogspot.com/






No comments:

Post a Comment