Tuesday, August 2, 2011

C.A Deyton interview



1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?  I can write at any time of day, but I am the most lucid in the late afternoon. 

2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?  It's a mix.  I will grab whatever is close.  A napkin...back of an envelope...a notebook...  If the computer is convenient, then I grab it, as well.

3: What do you draw inspiration from?  Wow.  What a big question!  I know it sounds cheesy, but other artists inspire me a great deal.  I find the more I read, the more I learn, the more I want to write.   

4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?  No.  I want to keep my writing as free flowing as possible and I find defining the amount of work I should do in a day stifles me.  If I can only get a sentence out of me, that is fine.  If I get a chapter or two then I have been particularly productive that day.   

5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?  My novel, The Devil's Keep, will be self published in August of 2011.  Right off the bat, I knew I wanted to have a depiction of my female protagonist, Sara.  I scoured the websites of several stock photography websites, bookmarking the pictures that "spoke" to me.  Once I had the candidates lined up in front of me, the front runner was obvious.  The cover features a woman lying on the ground of a beautiful forest.  She is vulnerable, shattered and fallen.  This is Sara at the beginning of our book.  On a side note, I also looked at the covers of my favorite books for additional inspiration in terms of layout and font.

6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?  I don't know that I have ever had the option of not writing.  I honestly cannot remember a time where anything else outweighed writing.

7: Do you own an ebook reading device?  Oh, yes.  Love it!  Genius!

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?  I read a lot of nonfiction, but I have always loved Agatha Christie, Stephen King and Anne Rice.  Also, the poetry of Yeats and Dickinson.  I loved the story of "Beowulf", which has made its way into my book.  Recently, I really enjoyed the Hunger Games Trilogy.  Currently I am reading Where She Went by Gayle Forman.   

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?  I feel book trailers are a fun way to promote your books.  I am working on one for The Devil's Keep and hope to release it soon.

10: How did you come up with the title of your latest book?
I wish I had an exciting story to tell you, but I don't.  I went through at least 4 different titles.  I would pick a title, be excited for a few days and then just not feel right about it.  I tend to do a lot of thinking as I am driving and in the middle of errand running one day, it just came to me.  I was excited about it for a couple of days, then a couple of more, and a couple more.  I never grew tired of it and that's how I realized I had a winner. 

11: What are you working on now that you can talk about?
Well, I have the sequel to The Devil's Keep.  The working title is An Angel's Revenge.  Also, I am working on a nonfiction book about Sensory Integration Disorder and at- home sensory diets, a topic close to my heart since my son has SID and Asperger's.  And I have a couple of books in outline stages.   


  







No comments:

Post a Comment