Saturday, August 21, 2010

R.G. Cordiner Interview





















1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?

I normally get up at 4am everyday to write.  It is not always productive though!  But I find that the house is quiet then and I don’t miss any of my time with my family.

2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?

Ideas I might write down on paper – but basically everything I write I do on the laptop.

3: What do you draw inspiration from?

Well I’m a teacher of young kids and that certainly inspires.  I don’t write a book unless I feel I can add something different to the genre.  It’s hard to say – the littlest thing can spark an idea.

4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?

Yes I am afraid to admit that I use a spreadsheet that calculates how far I am through the book, how many words I need to write that day – I find it helps to focus me.

5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?

I am a self published author and I created both covers myself by just taking photos on my iPhone and, in the case of Candy Wars, using Photoshop to blend them and finish them off.

6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?

I always wanted to write and I never really got around to it until I started teaching.  I noticed a lack of books that were exciting, fast paced and yet rich in language. 

7: Do you own an ebook reading device?

I have an iPhone that I use with its varied applications and I also use the computer.

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?

Terry Pratchett, Roald Dahl would be all time favorites.  I am also enjoying some independent authors such as Carolyn Kephart (whose Ryel Saga I am reading at the moment), Imogen Rose, John Fitch and David Derricho.

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

I must admit, it is an area I have yet to explore, but hopefully when I get a bit further with my writing I will start to create some.

10: How did you come up with the title of your latest book?

Candy Wars: The Tooth Fairies vs The Candy King - To be honest I try to use titles that give you a clear idea of what the book may be about - simple and to the point is the plan because sometimes the title is all you have to sell the book.

11: What are you working on now that you can talk about?

I am currently writing Bug Island which I hope to have released in December.  It tells the story of a group of people trying to survive an island swarming with giant bugs!


Thank you for your time
RG

No comments:

Post a Comment