Monday, August 9, 2010

Danielle Q. Lee Interview











1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?

As long as I have a sufficient amount of quiet time, anytime works for me. Having two kids makes it a bit more of a challenge to focus, but I somehow find the time to escape into my fantasy worlds.

2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?

It’s all on the computer. I have a file open at all times for any random ideas that pop into my mind for future books. I write chronologically and edit as I go. I don’t do outlines or character profiles for my books, but I do need to have a name for a new book before I can begin.

3: What do you draw inspiration from?

Absolutely everything. From the way the wind moves the leaves on the trees to a subtle glance between strangers, I watch and absorb everything. If my readers can’t feel, taste, touch or experience what I’m showing them through my words, it’s all for nothing.

4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?

I like to write at least 1000-1500 per sitting but life doesn’t always allow that. I’ve done up to 5000 in one day and as little as one sentence. It just depends on the day.

5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?

I am self-published specifically so I can design my own covers. I found a wonderful woman on Deviant Art named Karen Koski, we share ideas and she designs the image for the cover. Focusing on the main character, we derive certain colors, themes and symbols related to the story. She drew up the cover for Dimensions of Genesis and nailed it the first try. Inhuman only took two tries to make it perfect. She’s awesome!

6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?

So many things drive me to do this but mostly the desire to create stories that move the reader. I want them to finish my books and be haunted by them for days or weeks after. There’s nothing better than finishing a book and feeling like the characters are real and alive somewhere, existing beyond the book.

7: Do you own an ebook reading device?

Not yet, but my husband has been informed repeatedly of my Christmas wish for a Kindle.

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?

Some of my favorite spiritual authors are James Redfield, Neale Donald Walsch and Deepak Chopra.
I respect Stephenie Meyer and J.K. Rowling for their imagination and passion for their characters. Currently, I’m reading City of Bones by Cassandra Clare.

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

Personally, I think book trailers can be very exciting. I think readers like their favorite characters in a miniature movie experience. I made one for Dimensions of Genesis, it was fun and I’ll probably attempt it with all my books.

10: How did you come up with the title of your latest book?

Inhuman was derived from the word inhumane. I was establishing a link between the cruel treatments the main character experiences and her own definition of herself once she discovers she is not human.

11: What are you working on now that you can talk about?

My newest book is called Nightmara. Spawn from a true disorder called sleep paralysis and the legend of The Old Hag, the book follows two main characters that experience this affliction from two different perspectives. One is a sleep psychiatrist that treats patients for what she believes to be a legitimate and explainable ailment. The other is a young man that is attacked every night by what he believes is paranormal entities. When their two worlds merge, however, logic mingles with lore.
I should be ready to release this book by Christmas. I have to tell you though, writing horror keeps me up at nights. So if it’s scaring me, it’s for sure going to terrify the readers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment