Monday, August 23, 2010

Claire Farrell Interview





1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write? 

I am most productive late at night through to the early hours of the morning. It’s the only time my home is quiet so I try to make the most of it. 

2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?

Most of my writing is done by computer. I sometimes write brief outlines on paper and take small notes as the story progresses but for the most part I prefer to use a computer as it is easier to edit and/or create alternative versions of scenes. I take full advantage of the copy and paste features!

3: What do you draw inspiration from?

Inspiration can come from any source, songs, newspaper articles, even dreams but if I’m purposely trying to write a certain story, I think of a character I would like to read about and go from there. 

4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?

I don’t put pressure on myself but I like to at least finish a scene. I tend to push myself into finishing a chapter if I have the time. I’m a big believer in making yourself write frequently and don’t suffer from blocks so the only thing stopping me is time. I set word count goals during Nanowrimo or if I’m in a hurry to finish a first draft.

5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?

I am self published; I started in March of this year and would like to continue. I like having complete control and enjoy all aspects of self publishing. I have never submitted queries or manuscripts to an agent or publishing house and rely on the opinions and feedback from readers instead before I publish a story. In the future I would love to hire an artist to create a cover for me but for now, I have to make my own covers. Generally using royalty free images and a picture editing program. 

6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?

I wouldn’t say writing is something I chose. I can’t be truly happy without writing creatively so I don’t feel like I have a choice. I can’t sleep if inspiration hits and have learned the hard way I need to get the story finished to have any peace. I’ve a lot of unedited works on my laptop, usually written while I was supposed to be working on something else. It’s something I enjoy and something I want to get better at. I started uploading books to Kindle to see if writing was something I could do full time. 

7: Do you own an ebook reading device?

I own a Sony ereader and hope to get a Kindle soon.

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?

I don’t really have many favourite authors in particular. I am a huge fan of Charlotte Bronte and I quite like Patricia Briggs and Trudi Canavan. I enjoy Jonathan Kellerman’s earlier books. I haven’t read a book since I had a baby in July but I’ve just added a couple of young adult books to my ereader including Glimpse, Hush Money, My Blood Approves and Portal so one of those will be next on my list.

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

I’m not swayed either way by book trailers personally but I would love it if someone who enjoyed my next young adult novel created one. I would get a kick out of that.

10: How did you come up with the title of your latest book?

I struggle to come up with titles. For my horror short story collection, A Little Girl In My Room & Other Stories, I simply used the name of one of the stories. For my paranormal novella, I used a theme that ran through the story and I’m still working on a title for the first part of a young adult series I’m writing but each story should have a title that begins Cursed With . . .

11: What are you working on now that you can talk about?

I’m very excited about my current projects and hope to have at least one released before December. Although I have a lot of stories finished and half finished, I’m working on three main projects. All three fall into the paranormal side of things. When I finish these I will probably take a break from this genre and return to darker fiction.

My “baby” is a y/a paranormal romance. It’s my take on a werewolf story but the focus is mainly on ordinary people who experience extraordinary things. I love this story and uploaded an old draft to Wattpad. It isn’t ready for Kindle yet as I am still on the lookout for beta readers and volunteers to help me improve it. It’s possible that this one will never be for sale.

Next is a novella. The main character is an OCD vampire hybrid with a human stalker and I’m having a lot of fun with it. :)

Last but not least is a y/a novel inspired by my short ebook called One Night With The Fae. I didn’t plan on carrying on with the story but I found I wanted to know what happened next. Inspiration kept hitting me and I liked the ideas so decided to develop it further. It is a dark fantasy about faeries, reincarnation and two souls sharing a body. I’m Irish and enjoyed being able to dip into some Irish mythology for this story.


https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/10979

http://claire-farrell.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment