Thursday, August 12, 2010

Scott Collins Interview




















1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write? 

 I've got a 6 year old and 4 year old at home. The best time to write for me is after they go to bed. I've tried writing with them awake before. I might as well try to do neurosurgery. It's impossible!


2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer? 

Almost always the computer. The only time I use a pen and paper is if an idea or scene pops into my head and I can't get to a computer quickly. I'll then jot down a quick outline to remind myself later.


3: What do you draw inspiration from?

 I get my ideas from life for the most part. Different conversations with people spawn ideas, stuff on the news, stuff I read. Inspiration can come from anywhere. You just have to recognize it.


4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count? 

Something I read from a Dean Koontz interview comes to mind for this question. It's not a matter of the number of words, it's picking the right words. I completely agree with that. I've had nights when I wrote 1000 words and was much happier than nights I've put out 5000.


5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art? 

I'm a self published author and thankfully I have some wonderful friend that helped me design my cover and website. She's fantastic! (quick plug: www.eclecticservicesinc.com is her website)


6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer? 

For me, it's an escape from reality. When I've had a rough day, it's nice to settle back and create a different world. I get to choose who wins and who loses. It's nice. :)


7: Do you own an ebook reading device? 

I love my Kindle and can no longer imagine life without it.


8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now? 

Stephen King, Dean Koontz, JK Rowling. Shocking, I know. Right now I'm reading Leaves of Grass and The Divine Comedy, though I just finished 33 AD by David McAfee and Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. Both are fantastic reads.


9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

 I don't have any and don't really plan on using them. They may work for others, but it's not something I'm going to pursue.


10: How did you come up with the title of your latest book?

 Days' End was an easy transition from the end of days. The book is about the end of the world so it wasn't a big stretch.


11: What are you working on now that you can talk about?

 I switched genres to write a YA series. As I mentioned before, I have two small children and I'd like to get it written and published in time for them to enjoy it. I'm wrapping up revisions and edits on book one and am a few chapters into book two. It's a lot of fun to write.


My website is www.scottlcollins.com. You can visit me there. There are links to my book on amazon and B&N.com as well as to my facebook fan page. Hope to see you there!




No comments:

Post a Comment