Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Scott Mallory interview




1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?

 The overnight when the kids are finally asleep. The only problem is that I tend to pull all-nighters, which makes it rough to take care of kids or get them off to school the next day.

2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?

 I keep a notebook and jot down notes, then I organize and do the heavy lifting on the computer.

3: What do you draw inspiration from?

 Ideas just come to me or sometimes the title for the chapter or story comes first. I’m currently having a childrens book illustrated, and the whole story came to me in a dream.

4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?

 The goal is to sit down, period. I have a short attention span, so it takes a lot to get me in front of my laptop sometimes.

5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?

 I’m self-published, and I sought out artists at comic book and horror conventions. I knew what I wanted, I just had to find the right person to pull it off. I was lucky to meet up with artist Rob E. Brown  at the FrightFest convention in Louisville. He’s illustrating my childrens book too.

6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer? 

I’ve always wanted to write but never had the time, then when my radio career dried up, I had the time. “Tales” was a monkey on my back that I had to write. It wasn’t a choice.

7: Do you own an ebook reading device?

 My book is available as an ebook and my wife has a Kindle, but I’m more of a traditionalist. I like to have a real book in my hands.

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?

 I love comic books and Stephen King novels. Currently, I’m reading “Unmasked” by Kane Hodder and Michael Aloisi.

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

 They’re very popular right now and I held a contest for my own. Andrew Copp put together a great one. It’s not necessarily reflective of my career or some of the book, but it’s very entertaining and will hopefully generate interest.

10: How did you come up with the title of your latest book?

 It was something that I used to call myself when I used to be on the radio.

11: What are you working on now that you can talk about?

 My childrens book that mashes up classic monsters and sweets. It’s out there, but has a message for the kids. After that, I’d like to work on my horror anthology that I have outlined. It’s kind of my baby steps before I tackle a horror novel that I have planned.





No comments:

Post a Comment