Monday, January 31, 2011

Chris Blewitt Interview



1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?
-       Generally first thing in the morning, although with three kids, that’s getting to be more difficult.  Deep Rough was finished before my first son was born, waking up at 5:30am everyday and getting in 90 minutes of writing before the workday started. 

2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?
-       It’s always been on a computer.  Carrying a Blackberry helps me jot down ideas wherever I am.  Then, whenever I have the time, I’ll put these ideas into words on my computer.

3: What do you draw inspiration from?
-       I am a big fan of the thriller genre.  I read constantly and I’m usually never without a book.  I’m always thinking, What if?  What if X happened and Y discovered it?  What if Z happened and set in motion AB & C?

4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?
-       Not usually.  I write until a critical point in the book or chapter is reached then I stop.  Then I’ll think about how that point affects other characters in the story of another chain of events.  I’m trying to finish my next book by my birthday in February.  That will come out to about 1500 words a day.  That’s the plan at least!

5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?
-       I am self-published after years of rejection.  I thought to myself, I have a pretty good story here and it’s now or never.  My good friend at Tisha Creative, Joe Mindak, created the cover for me and I owe him a beer next time I see him.

6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?
-       The freedom to write anything you want.  I have all these stories in my head that I would love to get down on paper and have people read them.  Working from home and setting your own hours wouldn’t be too bad either.

7: Do you own an ebook reading device?
-       Yes, I just received the Kindle as a gift for Christmas.  I just downloaded my first book and I’m very happy with it so far.  It’s too easy.  Not sure I’ll ever go back to paper books unless someone lends me a book.

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?
-       I enjoy John Sandford, Harlan Coben, Michael Connelly, T. Jefferson Parker, Grisham, Dan Brown.  I just started The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo in my Kindle.

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?
-       For Deep Rough I don’t have a trailer.  I think I would be infringing on some copyright laws if I had video or pictures from Augusta National.  I’ve seen a couple and some are great and some are so-so.  If they’re done well, I think they can be very beneficial for promoting your book.

10: How did you come up with the title of your latest book?
-       Good question.  I wanted to portray a golf theme as well as a mystery or thriller.  Deep Rough has both elements.  I actually had the title long before the book was finished.  Now, my next novel is almost finished and I don’t have a working title yet.

11: What are you working on now that you can talk about?
-       I am about 2/3 of the way through another thriller.  I am staying away from the sports genre because it caters to too small of an audience.  I really enjoy learning about colonial times so this book is set in the present day but there are some flashbacks to the late 1700’s.  A thriller that takes the reader on a hunt to historical places and sets in motion a discovery that could expose a dangerous secret from the past. 

I’ll soon be posting my updates on the new novel on my website, www.chrisblewitt.com

Thanks for having me Kipp.


No comments:

Post a Comment