Sunday, January 16, 2011

Wyatt Bryson Interview




1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?

The most productive time for me is late at night. Since I’m not a morning person, late at night means after 2 a.m. However, if I’ve had a night at the club, getting anything creative written doesn’t really work. What I can do is go over my stuff and do editing and copy-editing because that process is rote and can be done with a bit of a buzz.

2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?

I take notes in a note pad I keep in my pocket as ideas come to mind. I only take notes on paper. I do all actual writing and editing on the computer. It is easier to move things around and make corrections that way. I also occasionally e-mail myself ideas and move them to a folder for future reference.

3: What do you draw inspiration from?

I draw a lot of inspiration from observing things going on around me. A lot of what I write is on issues of multiculturalism and racism. Since I live in the south, there is no shortage of observations when it comes to those subjects.

4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?

No. I often sit down wanting to write so many words or pages, but I refuse to force pages out when they may not be going in the right direction. I would rather work an idea or part over in my head and get a general direction I want to go in instead of writing a bunch of pages that don’t fit or have to be deleted later. I feel that if it isn’t working then don’t work on it that day. If it begins to flow then put as much time into it as you feel comfortable in doing.

5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?

My original stance was to find a traditional brick and mortar publisher. After two years of having my first novel sit on the shelf (figuratively) and my second to begin to do the same, I decided I’d rather self-publish and get it out there for others to see. Ironically as I have gotten to know other self-published authors and had conversations with people in general, I’ve learned that self-publishing is probably the next big thing. I’ve been told that the next big author will probably be discovered online.

Unfortunately I’m barely living check to check, so paying for cover art isn’t possible. My covers might be simple and not exactly the images that I had in mind, but they serve their purpose. I have to sit down with Photoshop and try to bring the right images together. If you self-publish on Kindle, they also have some cover creation tools. The cover of my second novel shows five masks, each with a simple on the forehead of the mask. These masks and symbols link to characters in the novel.

6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?

This has always been my dream. I have poetry that I wrote when I was five years old. There has never been a question that this is my chosen path. It was only a matter of deciding what I wanted to write about and sitting down and doing so to get it started. As far as making it a career, I hope that comes to fruition one day. It would truly be a gift to give up my day job and do this for a living.

7: Do you own an ebook reading device?

I do not, but I have downloaded a few for PC just to see if I formatted my novels correctly for their devices. I have noticed that my sales on electronic devices far surpass my print sales, but I guess I’m a little more traditional. I need to have a print copy in my hands. I can’t see reading a novel on a phone, but I could see reading it on a tablet. Of course, if I owned a Kindle, I might have a completely different view on this.

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?

My favorite authors are Toni Morrison and Gloria Naylor. Currently I am not reading anything. I am working on my next project and I don’t want to have something I’m reading to start influencing what I am writing. I’d hate to inadvertently pick up on someone else’s work and pull it into mine. So when I am working on a project, I don’t read anything else. Well, that was my stance when I wrote the first two novels anyway. I now have a comfort level with the direction that I am going to believe that I could take breaks and read other things.

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

I do not currently have any book trailers, nor have I actually seen anybody’s book trailers. I don’t plan on creating one, but I am open to it.

10: How did you come up with the title of your latest book?

My novels are not sequels or prequels, but they are within the same universe. The first novel gave a sorority a small part. When I finished it, the second novel screamed to be about that sorority. The title of my second novel is ‘Onyx and Eggshell.’ Onyx and eggshell are the colors of the sorority that the second novel is written around.

11: What are you working on now that you can talk about?

The third novel will deal with subjects along the same lines of the first two. I plan to have it mostly set in a restaurant bar. I’d like to have it out in the next few months but haven’t sat down to really put major work into it.



No comments:

Post a Comment