Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Laura Lond Interview




1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write? 
Evening and night time, when everything else is done and I can work in peace and quiet, uninterrupted.

2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?
It’s all on the computer. I use the 10-finger typing method, so it is very convenient for me. Editing is quick and easy, too.

3: What do you draw inspiration from?
Good stories created by others - books and movies. If some aspect of the story strikes a chord with me, chances are it will settle deep inside and eventually trigger ideas of my own. 

4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?
No. I am a slow writer, and worrying about reaching a certain word count would probably slow me down even more. I might have a goal in mind, like finishing a certain episode or a chapter, but if I can’t make it, that’s fine. I don’t stress over that.

5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?
I have been published by small press publishers and I have also self-published. Through the small press venues I was fortunate to come into contact with a wonderful professional artist and a talented designer, so now I have people to order quality covers and illustrations from.

6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?
Writing is the only thing I’ve ever wanted to do. It is probably the only thing I am good at, too. Smiley

7: Do you own an ebook reading device?
Yes, I’ve just got a Kindle for Christmas! I love it.

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?
My all time favorites are Charles Dickens and C.S.Lewis. (Yes, I’m into classics.)
Right now I am reading Avempartha by Michael J. Sullivan. It is a well done fantasy, definitely “my kind of a book.”

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?
I don’t know how well they work, I have not yet tried this form of promotion. My current publisher has made one for my latest book, but I have not yet received any sales reports, so it’s too early to tell. As to my other releases, I guess it will depend on whether I’ll have time to learn the art of trailer making - or finances to hire someone to do it for me.

10: How did you come up with the title of your latest book?
My latest book is a humorous fantasy titled My Sparkling Misfortune, featuring a villain as the protagonist. Coming up with a name for it was quite a struggle. I knew I had written a fun book, and I wanted a title that would reflect its tone, but nothing seemed to work. When “My Sparkling Misfortune” popped into my head, I wondered how I hadn’t thought of it right away. That was it. My villain wants to capture an evil spirit to serve him, but he messes up and gets a good spirit instead, called a Sparkling. See how the title fits perfectly?

11: What are you working on now that you can talk about?
I’ve just completed making The Adventures of Jecosan Tarres trilogy available on Kindle; my time is divided between promoting it and writing a sequel to My Sparkling Misfortune. I hope to finish it and have the book released in 2011.



No comments:

Post a Comment