Sunday, January 2, 2011

Jerry Hanel Interview



1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write? 

Night time. During the day, my life is so busy. But when I sit down at night, I can just unleash all that I've encountered through the day onto the computer, and a story starts to unfold. I usually write something out the first time and it's just a cold series of facts and conversation pieces. But when I go back and re-work it, I start to feel the wind on my skin and actually hear the voices in my head. Maybe that's because it's late and I'm already a bit loopy, but that seems to work for me.

2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?

I'm a geek. I'm all-tech, all-the-time. If I wrote it on paper, I doubt I could read it again later if I wanted to. My handwriting is an absolute mess.

3: What do you draw inspiration from?

My wife. Definitely. She gave up her life, her family and her friends to be with me. I know that she loves me completely, and I draw strength from that. But I also draw character from her and emotion for my writing. When she misses alot of her family, I can feel that longing coming from her, and I think that sense of longing, or fear, or worry, or whatever it may be makes its way into the story at some point.

4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?

Somewhat. On the days where I really don't feel like writing, I tell myself, "Just 500 words, Jerry. You can edit those words later. Just get them on paper." But on days where I am 'in the zone' I don't worry if I write 500 or 5,000. I just let it happen.

5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?

I am self-published, and cover art is a bit of a sore subject. I am fortunate enough to have a graphic artist friend who has seen my attempt at cover art. He has graciously offered his services to make new cover art for the book before it hits paperback, which I'm hoping will be by February.

6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?

I love writing. I've written short stories and clips since the 5th grade, always dreaming up new characters. As a computer programmer -- my current day job -- I create rules and instructions for a computer to follow to get to some end goal. I see writing a book as a similar task. I'm creating rules for my world, and leaving clues and motivations for my main characters to follow to get them to a specific end goal.

7: Do you own an ebook reading device?

Sadly... no. I'm a broke author. I write for the devices, yet I don't have one of my own... YET! I hoped for one for Christmas, but apparently I was a bad boy. Santa didn't bring me one. So now, I'll have to spend some of my hidden stash to get a Kindle.

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?

My favorite authors are Ted Dekker and James Patterson. I guess that explains a little with Brodie Wade, doesn't it? Anyway, I've just finished Victorine Lieske, another independent author, and I'm left wanting much more. She's a great writer.

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

I'm artistically challenged. I love to write, but video and pictures are not an area that I have any comfort level. For those that do use them, I wish them the best. But I don't plan on any for my books. Now, when the movie rights come (laugh), I'll be sure to send you the movie trailer preview.

10: How did you come up with the title of your latest book?

It really named itself. There is a line in the book, "Death Has a Name. Find the name, Brodie Wade." From that line I realized that that's the point of the book, thus that's the title. In doing that, I also realised that I've titled the remaining two books that I'm planning in the series. The second book is titled "Thaloc Has a Body", and the third book is still under wraps, but will follow a similar theme.

11: What are you working on now that you can talk about?

I'm working on a sequel to Death Has a Name. Brodie is going to encounter several new things, and may even find a love interest. What he discovers, however will lead him into the third book... which I can't go into yet. Smiley Yes, the second book has a specific closure, and will have an ending of its own, but the third book starts off right where we left off and spins out into the realm of The Truth where ... Well, you'll just have to see.



http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/34088

No comments:

Post a Comment