Saturday, March 19, 2011

Beth Mathison Interview





1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write? 

I like to write in the afternoon.  If I’m alone in the house at night, which is very rare, I’ll write then.  I’ll do a lot of marketing tasks early morning, before my brain actually hits “creativity level”.


2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?

I always write on a computer.  If I have a sudden burst of creativity when I’m not at a computer, I’ll jot notes on a scrap of paper or a sticky note.  If I don’t write down my ideas immediately, I know I won’t remember them.

3: What do you draw inspiration from?

Everything, really. A Johnny Cash song was playing on the radio, which inspired me to write a story called The Train Station.  My Mobster short stories are loosely based on my family.  My family doesn’t have the mobster background, but we do get a little crazy, especially around the holidays. I try to allow events and people to touch my heart.  What I write is a reflection of that touch.

4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?

When writing a longer work like a novel, I aim for 1,000 words a day.  For shorter works, I try to write about 500 words a day.  It’s very important for me to write every work day.  It’s also important for me not to beat myself up if I don’t reach my goal.


5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?

My publisher, Untreed Reads, handles all the cover art.  


6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?

I love to write.  I love the process, the final product, the creativity.  I think there is a beauty in the written word.  This sounds corny, but when I write time often speeds by, and all seems right with the world.  When a young person tells me that they want to write, I encourage them to look closely at what they want.  Do what you love to do.

7: Do you own an ebook reading device?

I have a Kindle – a K3.  I was kind of nervous at first.  I really enjoy the feel of actual books.  But I’ve found that the “story” of stories still translates to an e-reader.

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?

I like Hemingway, e.e. cummings, William Gibson, Dan Simmons.  There are so many!  I’m currently reading Amanda Hocking’s Switched on my Kindle.  She’s a definite inspiration for indie authors.

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

Ooooh, confession.  I had to Google “book trailers”.  I’m adding this option to my potential marketing strategy.


10: How did you come up with the title of your latest book?

I just finished a Mother’s Day Mobster story – A Mobster’s Menu for Mother’s Day Brunch.  All of the Mobster stories begin with “A Mobster…”  The Mother’s Day story has a lot of food references and is set in a restaurant, so I opted for “Menu”.


11: What are you working on now that you can talk about?

I’ve got a first draft of a novel that I’m editing.  It’s a mystery/romance novel a la Janet Evanovich.  I’m having a lot of fun with it – there are thrills, interesting characters, and a bit of romance thrown in.  I enjoy bringing up my file every day and thinking  Hmmmm.... where will these characters take me today?



My Amazon page:  http://www.amazon.com/Beth-Mathison/e/B004AXAX6O/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

If you need a specific Amazon page:

http://www.amazon.com/Mobsters-Toast-St-Patricks-ebook/dp/B004PLNIA4/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_3

http://www.amazon.com/Mobsters-Recipe-Cupcakes-Valentines-ebook/dp/B004JXVYI6/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_4

http://www.amazon.com/Mobsters-Guide-Cranberry-Sauce-ebook/dp/B004AM5DJW/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_1

http://www.amazon.com/The-Killer-Wore-Cranberry-ebook/dp/B004A90DDQ/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_2

 My publisher:  www.untreedreads.com


No comments:

Post a Comment