Monday, March 21, 2011

Edward Grey Interview




1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?
 When I first started writing I was young and didn’t have the luxury of having a set time to write. It was always anywhere I could find time to do it, and I think that conditioned me to be productive any place at any time.

2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?
It's all done digital, which is efficient and probably the best way for me anyway. My penmanship is about as good as trying to write with your feet during a 10.0 earthquake. I can't read my own scribbles, so trying to transfer the auto-cryptography to computer is impossible.

3: What do you draw inspiration from?
Anything and everything I can get my hands on, ears to hear, and eyes to see is inspiration. I love writing normal characters and sticking them in extraordinary situations.

4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?
Never. I did at one point, but I realized that by doing so I was forcing myself to focus more on obtaining a goal than crafting quality story. I’d rather have 10 pages of amazingly constructed paragraphs than 30 of prose so wickedly bad that my computer would likely hunt me down in the middle of the night to slay me for storing such crap on the hard drive.

5: Are you a published or a self-published author and how do you come up with your cover art?
I am a self-published author, and I find it incredibly relaxing. However, it’s also considerably more work. The covers for my books are all done by a good friend of mine, who I’ve contracted to do the next two books as well.

6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?
I love writing. I've had a few careers in my life, and at the end of the day writing was something that always made me happy no matter how challenging it became. So, I decided the best thing to do was make a career out of what I love.

7: Do you own an eBook reading device?
Yes, I certainly do. There's nothing handier than having a book available to distract you when your mother-in-law is talking your ear off, waiting for B936 at the DMV when they’ve called B053 twenty times, or any other place you find you could use some immediate entertainment.

That reminds me of a story. A few months back while I was driving on the freeway, I saw this very talented--albeit equally dangerous--young woman who was reading from her Kindle, drinking a bottle of water, and steering with her knee. I'm not sure what the recipe for freeway disaster is, but it looked like she might just be the next great American chef.

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and what are you reading now?
Dean Koontz and Stephen King are two of my favorite writers, and I'm currently reading Breathless, Darkness Under the Sun, and Under the Dome.

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?
Book trailers work well with how popular television and internet hubs like Youtube have become. Also, with integration into the website, you can give visitors a fantastic visual preview of your book. I am currently working to have one made for Dark Hearts.

10: How did you come up with the title of your latest book?
Honestly, it just came to me. The story follows a tone that takes the reader down a dark road paved by the evil hearts of men. However, it’s not typically that easy. Often times, my short stories or novels spend much, if not all, of the initial phase of writing as “Untitled Novel” or some project name.

11: What are you working on now that you can talk about?
Twisted Tales is available May 15th, 2011 that features 10 short stories, and a sneak peek at my next novel Shadows of the Mind, a supernatural thriller.


Current Book: Dark Hearts

Description:
It's 1996; twelve-year-old Heather walks the street covered in blood until the Matron of an Orphanage finds her. Heather can't remember anything. Even after she gets help, her past remains a dark mystery.

Fast forward fifteen years, Heather's normal life is suddenly thrown into turmoil when she becomes involved in a grocery store robbery. She turns heroine when she shoots the man before he can kill anyone else, but her fame begins a treacherous new phase of her life when the incident is picked up by the local news channel.

After seeing the report on TV, John Doe—a psychopathic killer—is prompted to search for her. He knows she is Krystal, the one who got away so long ago. Now, he embarks on a search where murder propels his quest to find her—and he doesn't care how many he has to kill to do it.

A Detective named Taft is unexpectedly pulled into Heather’s life, and as they struggle to remain alive, they uncover details of her horrifying past. However, John has a long history of death on his hands, and he plays the game well. He crosses all the lines into the darkest reaches of human behavior, which forces Heather and Taft to face him head-on.

Links:
Amazon ISBN: 145640489X
Kindle AISN: B004RZ265Q


No comments:

Post a Comment