Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Andersen Prunty


Interview with Andersen Prunty




1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?


I typically write between midnight and 2 or 3 AM.


2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?


It depends. Most short stories, especially the flash fictions, I write longhand. Some novels I will start in longhand and usually end up typing them into the laptap. I type way faster than I can write longhand so that works better when I’ve imposed some sort of deadline on myself.


3: What do you draw inspiration from?


Everything is fuel. Music, books, people, especially.


4: Do you set yourself goals when you sit down to write such as word count?


I usually don’t set any type of word count deadline. Sometimes I tell myself I have to have a certain project finished by a certain day and, ideally, I try to write for at least an hour or two a day, but many other writing-type obligations can throw a wrench in that.


5: Being a self published author how do you come up with your cover art?


Only a couple of my books are self-published. And even my self-published stuff is put through a rigorous editing process. The others are through Eraserhead Press and I have one coming out with Dark Regions. I don’t come up with my own cover art. I work mostly with one guy, Brandon Duncan (www.corporatedemon.com). He’s a very talented graphic designer and artist. I email him with some ideas I think would look good on a cover and give him free reign. I would advise any author who’s thinking about self-publishing to consider investing in a graphic artist. Likewise, I would encourage any small press author to try and get the editor to spend the extra buck on good cover art. It really does go a long way.


6: What drives you to chose the career of being a writer?


I would say I’m more “resigned” to it than “driven.” I don’t know what else I would do with my free time. I wouldn’t consider it a career, though. I’d have to sell a shit ton more books for that to happen.


7: Do you own an ebook reading devise?


Not specifically. I have an iPod Touch. If I have to read something electronically, I’ll use the Kindle or Stanza app on that.


8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?


I have a lot of favorite authors who I go to for many different things. Some all time favorites are: Stephen King, Peter Straub, Clive Barker, Barry Yourgrau, Kobo Abe, Aimee Bender, Haruki Murakami, Franz Kafka, Kurt Vonnegut, Charles Bukowski, Will Christopher Baer, JD Salinger, David Sedaris, and Bret Easton Ellis. I could go on and on and a lot of them are people who’ve only written a couple of books. At the moment I’m reading:


Horns by Joe Hill

The People’s History of the United States by Howard Zinn

A Million Versions of Right by Matthew Revert

One Hundred and Forty Five Stories in a Small Box: Hard to Admit and Harder to Escape, How the Water Feels to the Fishes, and Minor Robberies by Sarah Manguso, Dave Eggers, and Deb Olin Unferth


9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?


I like book trailers. I have no clue how one is made or I’m sure I’d use them. I especially like what Mykle Hansen did for his book Help! A Bear is Eating Me! Maybe not a trailer per se, but funny and entertaining and I think it makes people want to buy that book.


10: What are you working on now that you can talk about?


I’m currently working on a novel called Satanic Summer that should be released by Grindhouse Press in 2012. It’s a really bizarre horror novel and I’m having tons of fun writing it.


http://www.facebook.com/pages/Andersen-Prunty/151860395748?ref=ts


http://www.amazon.com/Andersen-Prunty/e/B002BMGMJS/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1274909283&sr=1-2-ent


http://www.andersenprunty.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment