Friday, May 21, 2010

Anne Brooke Interview


Interview with Anne Brooke


1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?


I write more fluidly in the afternoon, although I do need the mornings to hack my way through the jungle before it becomes easier – I’m a bit of a slow starter. I also find it easier to write if I have a deadline, even a self-imposed one! I’m a glutton for punishment …


2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?

Nowadays it’s all on the computer, although I have in the past written poetry out on paper first and I also wrote some of the first part of my fantasy trilogy, The Gifting, (to be published by Bluewood Publishing) with pen and paper first – this might have been because my main character is himself a scribe so it helps me get into his mindset.


3: What do you draw inspiration from?

Things people say, situations I hear about or see on TV. And dreams – they can be very inspirational. Two of my novels – Maloney’s Law (gay PI thriller) and The Gifting – started out life when I dreamt the first scenes/chapter and wanted to see what happened next, so I had to write it.


4: Do you set yourself goals when you sit down to write such as word count?

Yes, on writing days (usually 2/3 a week as I work part-time), I like to get about 1000 words done. They may not be great words, but at least they’re there for editing.


5: Being a self published author how do you come up with your cover art?

I used to be self-published and had a wonderful cover artist, Penelope Cline (http://www.visualartnow.com/penelopecline/) who did the cover art for my work, but now all of my books are commercially published, mainly in the US, although happily I’ve retained some of Penelope’s wonderful covers, eg with the paperback version of Pink Champagne and Apple Juice (romantic comedy set in a gay nightclub), and Thorn in the Flesh (psychological thriller), both of which are available as eBooks from Bristlecone Pine Press.


6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?

Love of telling stories and a desire to communicate what’s in my head – that just won’t go away so I keep on writing!


7: Do you own an ebook reading devise?

Yes, I have a lovely Sony e-reader, which is my pride and joy.


8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?

I love Murakami, and Patricia Duncker, and I’m also hugely fond of Anne Tyler and Jodi Picoult. In the GLBT world (where much of my own work is published), I love Alex Beecroft, Clare London and Lenore Black, who are just such great writers.


9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

They’re fun to do! And I have several for a wide variety of my books which you can see on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=annelbrooke&aq=f. I’m not sure how many books get sold as a result though – it’s hard to say. I’ve done several for my latest short story publisher, Untreed Reads, but in the future I might keep to creating them for my novels only – we’ll have to see!


10: What are you working on now that you can talk about?

I’m working on the final part of my fantasy trilogy, The Executioner’s Cane. And I’m also continuing to write gay erotic short stories for Amber Allure Press, and more literary short stories for Untreed Reads. I’m also expecting to work on the edits for The Gifting, and also for the upcoming reprint of gay psychological thriller, A Dangerous Man, for Cheyenne Publishing. So I’m keeping busy and out of trouble – I hope!

http://www.annebrooke.com/

http://annebrooke.blogspot.com/

http://theprayerseeker.blogspot.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment