Sunday, May 23, 2010

Bryl Tyne


Interview with Bryl Tyne








1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?

Mid-mornings work best for me, but once in a while I get a stroke of genius just after I retire for the evening and find my self jumping out of bed to write for another two hours.



2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?

With the exception of two stories, all others I've written can be found in my stack of spiral notebooks designated for my writing. Something about having a pen in hand drives me to write faster and put down more words like nothing else. I chalk it up to my being a non-verbal learner. When I hold a tool or instrument such as a pen or artist's brush, my brain seems to react to the stimulus, knowing it is time to create.



3: What do you draw inspiration from?

Rather than post my never ending list, I'll summarize. Anything and everything inspires me. Music, cartoons, kids, animals, nature, people in general, etc.... I can just as easily observe children playing on a jungle gym as I can watch a pair of Cardinals build a nest, and in both instances, take away something inspiring. I get most of my inspiration from simply keeping my eyes open and my mouth shut, no matter where I am at any given time of day. One recent instance I recall, I was at work and one of my supervisors was holding what appeared through his glass office window to be an extremely animated phone conversation. As I caught sight of this, my mind instantly went into "what if" mode and I found myself visualizing many scenarios regarding what may be taking place. Among those, I found two great scenes I could use for a story I was currently working on.



4: Do you set yourself goals when you sit down to write such as word count?

I have tried this, but the method does not seem to work for me. The only goal I now set is to make myself sit down to write. I find that when I conquer that goal, the rest just happens.



5: Being a self published author how do you come up with your cover art?

I'm not self-published, but even so, I have input as to what I expect for my cover art. Each publisher handles their cover art differently, but those I am published with have asked for my input and some have taken my designs and improved on them to create my covers.



6: What drives you to chose the career of being a writer?

My incessant need to write and share experiences and life from another viewpoint. Numerous college professors, co-workers, and friends had forever asked me if I was a writer, way back when the thought hadn't occurred to me to do so. I struggled for years in various careers, wondering the whole time what I truly wanted to be when I "grew up". Then one day, it hit me. The answer had been right in front of my face my entire life -- You're a writer.



7: Do you own an ebook reading devise?

No. When I do read an eBook, I read on my laptop computer.



8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?

I have so many favorites, it's difficult to name a few. Currently, I'm reading Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott


9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

I think book trailers, like any other advertising technique, are another venue to reach the consumer, which is vital since authors are more and more required to self-promote. Trailers do seem to be slowly gaining popularity in this age of new media, though.



10: What are you working on now that you can talk about?

I'm wrapping up my third installment for my series, The Zagzagel Diaries. This one will be titled, Desperate. In Desperate, the unconventional guardian angel, Zag, is called upon to intervene in the life of another GLBT youth, a young man desperate to rid himself of the unjust guilt and shame he feels when he discovers he's attracted to his college roommate.



Bryl R. Tyne
http://www.facebook.com/l/36132;bryltyne.com

Bio and Link: Bryl R. Tyne is an author who balances as many pronouns as hats. Somewhere between the evil day job, editing, promoting authors, and helping a benevolent Sugar Daddy raise the last few of seven kids, Bryl writes. A wrangler by nature and a writer by choice, Bryl is published with Noble Romance Publishing, Ravenous Romance, Dreamspinner Press, STARbooks Press, and Untreed Reads Publishing. You can find out more about Bryl at:
http://www.facebook.com/l/36132;bryltyne.com


1 comment:

  1. Bryl is very interesting person! I laughed at the handwritten-in-spiral-notebook comment because my best friend is the same way. She always uses a pencil and cringes whenever I use a pen (followed by scribbles.) I really enjoyed this interview! I have two of Bryl's stories downloaded and wish I could snag a few minutes to read them! Zag sounds like a wonderful character and I know I'll enjoy his stories.

    If you are still needing interviewees here, I'd be glad to oblige, especially since I have a book coming out from Dreamspinner. If you like, you may email me at ruth.sims@gmail.com (note the dot between the names.)

    ReplyDelete