Saturday, May 29, 2010

Jordan Krall Interview


Interview with Jordan Krall












1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?


Night time, usually between 7:30 to 10:30. If it’s a weekend, a little bit later than that. Once I have some vacation time, I’d like to experiment writing in the predawn hours.


2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?


Most of the time I write it all on the computer. Occasionally I’ll write notes with pen and paper, though. However, I did start writing a new hardcore horror novel on paper but I don’t know if I’ll continue to do that. There’s double the work having to write and then type it all up. I just don’t have that kind of time.


3: What do you draw inspiration from?


Most of the characters and situations in my books are drawn from things in real life. So just being around people inspires me for better or for worse. Movies play a huge role, too, as I’m influenced and inspired by cult genres like Spaghetti Westerns, giallo, horror, etc.


4: Do you set yourself goals when you sit down to write such as word count?


It depends. If a publisher (or editor) gives me a word count limit or minimum, I keep that in mind but usually I just write and just let the story go where it’s headed. Sometimes I plan on writing a short story and it turns into a novella and vice versa. Setting goals that are too strict can trip me up and the work suffers.


5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?


I’m a published author. Eraserhead Press has published my first three books and Black Rainbows Press just published my fourth. For my EHP books, I’ve worked with the same artist (Jeff Powers) one I found on the Internet. He does real good work and he’ll be doing my next two books that EHP will publish. My editor and I talk about the cover art ideas and then we run them by the artist. Cover art is really important in selling books so I try to be open to what my publisher suggests rather than just what I want. They know that area better.


6: What drives you to chose the career of being a writer?


Well, my real career is being a teacher. That’s where most of my income comes from. Writing is a side thing. That’s not to say I wouldn’t want to do it as a career. I would LOVE that. It’s always been my dream. What drives me is getting to share my imagination with people and entertain them in the process. That’s a great feeling.


7: Do you own an ebook reading device?


Nope. I only read ebooks on my computer. I just don’t have the money for one of those fancy things and anyway, I prefer reading a real book. I know it seems like ebooks are the wave of the future but if I pay for a book, I want to be able to own something other than just a file.


8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?


Some of my favorite authors are Elmore Leonard, H.P. Lovecraft, Jim Thompson, William Burroughs, Philip K. Dick, and Edward Lee. Right now I’m reading Cody Goodfellow’s Silent Weapons for Quiet Wars which is really good.


9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?


I think I might have seen one book trailer. I don’t think I have any feelings about them either way… so I guess I don’t have any plans to do one. If one of my publishers wanted to do one, I’d be fine with it, though.


10: What are you working on now that you can talk about?


I’m working on a new novel from Eraserhead Press called TENTACLE DEATH TRIP and will be out sometime in the fall. I also have a bizarro hardcore horror novel that should be out sometime in 2011 from another publisher (I’ll be making the announcement about what publisher it is in a week or so). A nonfiction book about weird movies is in the works, too, from Bucket O’Guts Press. And finally, speaking of ebooks, I’ll have a free ebook novelette called BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE APOCALYPSE DONKEYS available in the summer.


http://www.filmynoir.com/


http://www.bizarrocentral.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment