Monday, May 17, 2010

Toni Leland Interview

Interview with Toni Leland


1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?


I start about 5 in the morning and work until around 9. Once the day sets in and I put on my “work” hat, my creativity ends.


2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?


All on computer. I sometimes make hand-written lists or notes, but the manuscript always starts on the computer.


3: What do you draw inspiration from?


Interesting situations are most often the seed for a story idea. I write predominantly about characters who live, love, and work with horses, so any situation that could fit into such a scenario will usually get my attention. I adore a good love story, so factoring in relationships is always high on my list of to-do’s.


4: Do you set yourself goals when you sit down to write such as word count?


I usually set an end date for a book, the time when I want to have the first draft completed, then the date I’d like to have the second or third polished draft ready for advance readers.


5: Being a self published author how do you come up with your cover art?


I am a photographer and graphic designer and have access to a lot of stock photos and images. I sometimes know what my cover will look like long before the book is finished. However, on occasion, the cover has to change because the story took a different direction.


6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?


I have been writing since I was in high school and my career choices always included writing of some sort. I love being able to express myself and share my stories with other like-minded readers. Ever new book is an adventure! My freelance work for magazines also inspires me to continue to educate my readers.


7: Do you own an ebook reading devise?


No, I have difficulty reading on screen, but I understand some of the latest innovations are changing that.


8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?


I have read every Dick Francis book, and many other equestrian fiction authors as well. I love Sue Monk Kidd, Nora Roberts’ older stories about witches and such, Elizabeth Letts; I’m reading Jade Lee’s Dragon Born right now.


9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?


I think book trailers are an excellent way to pique a reader’s interest. The visual aspect of the movie makes it more personal than a canned write-up. I have book trailers for all my novels.


10: What are you working on now that you can talk about?


My WIP is a YA story, not about horses, but my other love—the supernatural. It’s about an ordinary girl with not so ordinary problems.

http://www.tonileland.com

http://manuscriptmusings.blogspot.com/

Women's Fiction with Kick

A Garden of Secrets ~ 2009
Deadly Heritage ~ 2008

Coming in 2010 ~ Rescue Me

No comments:

Post a Comment