Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Robert Williams Interview

Interview with Robert Williams



1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?

I always do my best writing late at night. I don’t know why but I have always been a night owl, and my mind is most active in the last few hours before I go to bed. I think of it as the sole benefit of being a chronic insomniac!

2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?

Entirely on computer. My penmanship is terrible. I always worry I won’t be able read what I write. I also find I can transcribe my thoughts faster on a keyboard.

3: What do you draw inspiration from?

From everything! Sometimes I read a passage from an excellent book, and I’m so inspired I feel the need to write something. Or I might see something walking down the street that starts the germ of an idea. “Storms of Eternity” was inspired by a dream, while “Peculiar, MO” was a result of reading a scientific article on the genetic basis of memory. I think inspiration can come from anywhere, and I always try to keep my mind open to it.

4: Do you set yourself goals when you sit down to write such as word count?

Never. I always write as long as I feel it coming naturally and fluidly. If I try to force it, it doesn’t come out as good. If I stop too soon, my mind is still too active and I feel nervous and restless.

5: Being a self published author how do you come up with your cover art?

I always try to create an image that I feel captures the mood of the book, not necessarily a specific scene or character. The cover for my short story collection “Strange Times” is simply a photograph of a strange bug I saw in my garden, but the image came out so unearthly and ethereal on the computer that I had to use it as the cover, even though none of the stories in that book involve insects in any major way.

6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?

I think it chose me. I had so many great ideas and such an active imagination, I can’t imagine not doing it.

7: Do you own an ebook reading device?

I do not. I use the Kindle app on my BlackBerry.

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and what are you reading now?

I have so many favorite authors. Mary Renault, Stephen King, Arthur C. Clarke, Ray Bradbury, and Neil Stephenson come immediately to mind. Right now I am reading a Spanish translation of “Fahrenheit 451.”

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

I think they are a good marketing idea, although I do not currently have any plans to create any.

10: What are you working on now that you can talk about?

I’m almost done with the final draft of a new short story. It should be up soon, so keep an eye out!


No comments:

Post a Comment