Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Monique Martin Interview



1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?

I'm not a morning person, so I usually write late in the evening. I love how quiet the world is in the middle of the night. But, recently, I've tried writing as soon as I get up. Much to my surprise, I found that when I'm half-asleep, I get a lot done. I think it's because I'm not sharp enough to catch my mistakes and start self-editing. Some of my best work has grown from those "mistakes".

2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?

I make notes on paper. I love to go to the beach or walk up to the local park and just think. There's a seldom used baseball diamond close by with a scorers table that I'd swear they put there just for me. After the note taking stage and some loose plotting, I use the computer. But, I'm never far from a pen and paper.

3: What do you draw inspiration from?

Like most writers, I've always had an active imagination. I love to daydream. I can waste an entire day staring off into space, quite content in my little world. So, I just started putting down on paper what I saw in my head.

Also, I'm a big fan of science and history. There are so many amazing stories waiting to be told. I might get the germ of a kernel of an idea from a documentary. I'll plant that seed and sometimes something wonderful grows out of it. Sometimes, just weeds.

4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?

I definitely write toward what I can signposts in my work. It's not based on a word count per se, but a scene or series of scenes that get my characters to the next fork in the road. I'm really pretty lazy, to be honest. I could be a professional procrastinator - or a Senator. But, once I get going, I lose all track of time. I love that feeling. When did it get dark?

5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?

I'm self-published. Thank you, Digital Text Platform! I really wrestled with the cover. My book is a romantic adventure, but it just didn't feel right to have a nearly naked hunk on the cover. Don't get me wrong. I love a hot, drool-worthy cover. I'll buy books based on that. I'm shallow. I admit it. But, for some reason, I went another way with mine. An antique pocket watch plays a crucial role in the book and I've always thought the gears and inner workings were just plain cool. I found a great photo and stumbled my way through.

6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?

Insanity. You've got to be crazy to be a writer. Really. You pour your heart out and then show it to the world and say, "Judge me!" It's heartbreaking, agonizing and wonderful. And, I love to work on my own schedule and in my PJs.  And, I'd like to think I have something to say. It might not change the world. It might just be something that makes someone smile or forget what a crappy day they've had. But, I think that's valuable.

7: Do you own an ebook reading device?

I don't. I do read ebooks on my computer and my iPod Touch and Droid though. I'm hoping to inherit a Kindle very soon. Amazon, if you love me, you'll get those K3s shipped asap!

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?

I go through phases. I was in a mystery phase, but now I'm reading fantasy. I love to listen to epic fantasies on tape as work out. Helps distract me from the pain. I'm working my way through David Eddings' The Elenium at the moment. But, I'll often read a few books at once. My dad is practically forcing me to read The Decline and Fall of the British Empire by Piers Brendon. And, I really want to read Packing for Mars. Throw in a slew of independent novels I've discovered on the KindleBoards and it's a full slate.

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

I think they're a great idea. I want one! I've seen some wonderful trailers. It's a logical step in advertising. People are practically intravenously feeding on YouTube these days. The idea of creating a trailer for a book the way you would for a movie is genius.

10: How did you come up with the title of your latest book?

If I'd been more savvy, or even the tiniest bit savvy, I would have tried a little harder to come up with a better title. The title works on several levels for the story, but, truthfully, and you'll have to forgive the cliché, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a book called Out of Time.

11: What are you working on now that you can talk about?

I'm working on two books right now. One is the sequel to Out of Time (and will have a better title!) and the other is a coming of age comedy. It's based on a screenplay a friend and I wrote together about a young boy in the early Seventies who's obsessed with comic books. If you're an old school Marvel fan, this one's for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment