Saturday, July 3, 2010

Danielle Bourdon Interview









1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?

I tend to write at all hours of the day, although I like to write in the early morning hours the best. I seem to be more creative and fresh right out of the gate. Life doesn't always allow for me to write when I want to, so I've learned how to get motivated when I need to finish a scene or complete a manuscript.

2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?

I've never been able to start a novel on paper. Sometimes I scribble out details-- names, descriptions, a stray arc-- but I always, always write on the computer.  Every time I try and write longhand these days I get frustrated and impatient. I would have been in big trouble years and years ago before the PC and typewriters!

3: What do you draw inspiration from?

Apparently, I have a very deep well of creativity. I've never lacked for ideas.  I get inspired sometimes by old myth and lore and am fond of twisting the stories around to suit my writing needs. I also enjoy creating my own worlds and intermingling them with this one. For years, I've kept my writing mostly to myself or to smaller groups of fellow writing fiends. Now that I've let it loose, I'm even more inundated with stories that are dying to see the light of day.

4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?

Thanks to National Novel Writing Month, I learned how to live up to either my personal goal or someone else's. Sometimes I go by word count, sometimes by scene. Sometimes I work off a deadline I've set for myself and I'm a stickler for getting it done exactly on time, if not sooner. It sits ill with me when I miss my own deadline.

5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?

I decided at the last minute to go self-published. I'd done an extensive amount of research between traditional publishing and the 'indie' route. I figured if I was going to have to do all the marketing and promotion myself anyway, why not keep most of the profit? I couldn't see doing all this work for someone else's benefit. I wouldn't be opposed to going the traditional route if the situation was right.
Originally, for my first book, I designed the cover myself. I didn't like how it looked as a thumbnail and sought out some background art for the current cover. All I did was add text over the top. For my up and coming book, I designed the whole thing myself and am happy with the results. I dabble in graphic design, so I had a small leg up in that department.

6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?

This has only been a reality for me since November 1, 2009. That was the day I decided to actually throw myself into this full time. I'm driven mostly by my need to write and tell stories and because writing fulfills me in ways nothing else does. Completing a novel is a challenge, wholly and truly, and I've discovered in life that if I'm not challenged, I feel stale and bored.

7: Do you own an ebook reading device?

Actually…I don't!  I've never even held one in my hand. They intrigue me though, definitely.

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?

Dean Koontz has to be my all time favorite. I have at least three quarters of his work. I also like Robin Cook, John Saul and Kat Martin.  I just finished Koontz' The Taking and am currently reading One Little Sin by Liz Carlyle.

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

I think book trailers that are well done are an asset to any book, but I don't think they will really convince a reader for or against a story.  Maybe I haven't seen the right trailers. My co-author and I have talked a little about one for our second book, but we haven't cemented any ideas in stone. I won't be doing one for DrĂ©oteth.

10: What are you working on now that you can talk about?

I just published DrĂ©oteth in June.  It's a book about dragons and humanity with a lot of emotional conflict and tension.  Currently, I've just completed the first draft of my second novel, Bound by Blood.  My co-author, Kimberly Hoyt and I, wrote Bound two years ago and decided to make it a novel this spring. It has vampiric and time travel elements that are intertwined in a very cool way.  It moves from modern day to the Tudor court and back again. You can catch upcoming excerpts on my site, www.daniellebourdon.com in the next several weeks. The tentative release date is September 1st, 2010. To close out this interview, I'd like to say a huge thanks to Kipp for some great questions and the opportunity to talk about what I love.  





No comments:

Post a Comment