Friday, July 9, 2010

Vogue Interview













1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write? 

There is not a set time of the day I write. I merely write whenever I am inspired or do not have writer’s block. It could be in the morning, afternoon or at night. I always carry a notebook with me so even if I am not at a computer, I can always jot a sentence or two down. 

2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer? 

All of my projects start with paper and pen. I outline each of my chapters before I actually start writing on the computer. 

3: What do you draw inspiration from?

Lately, inspiration has come from conversations I’ve had with people, music videos, and believe it or not, photography. For Diamonds N’ Roses (Book Five of The Diamond Collection), I was inspired by Drake’s “Find Your Love” video. It inspired me to change a portion of the setting from the fictional Brookstone, New York to either the Bahamas or Jamaica. 

4: Do you set yourself goals when you sit down to write such as word count? 

When I write, the only goal that I have for myself is to actually finish the novel. I would like for each of my books to have between 350-400 pages, though. 

5: Being a self published author how do you come up with your cover art?

I am not a self-published author, but I am credited with the cover concept for my novel. There really isn’t a strenuous process that I go through to come up with the concept of my covers. I simply search for photos that catch my eye, will seem appealing to others and illustrate an idea or theme in the book.

6: What drives you to chose the career of being a writer? 

I chose the career as a writer because it gives me the chance to create my own fantasy world. I have complete control over everything, which I don’t have in real life.

7: Do you own an ebook reading devise?

I don’t! I actually prefer to have an actual book in my hands. My book is available on Kindle, though! 

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now? 

My favorite authors are Ashley Antoinette, Jaquavis Coleman and Donald Goines. I am currently reading Black Diamond by Brittani Williams. 

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

I think book trailers are an excellent way to capture a person’s attention who isn’t fond of reading. Some people are more visual than others so it takes that extra push to grab them. I have a book trailer for my debut novel and plan to have one for every novel that I write. 

10: What are you working on now that you can talk about? 

I am currently rewriting and editing Black Diamonds, which is book four of The Diamond Collection.



No comments:

Post a Comment