Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Phillip Thomas Duck Interview





 1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?
I’m a trooper, I can write anytime and anywhere. That said, logistically the most productive time for me is early afternoon into late evening.

2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?
Interestingly enough I switch back and forth. It depends on the moment, I suppose. I would say that the vast majority of my work is done on computer though.

3: What do you draw inspiration from?
Everything. I think by nature writers are observers and dreamers. I can watch someone on line at the grocery store and pick up something from their dress or mannerisms that will work its way into my fiction.

4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?
Walter Mosley suggests 1000 words a day, minimum. Who am I to argue?

5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?
I’ve published quite a few adult and YA novels with a traditional publisher, but I felt compelled to dip my toes in this Kindle thing I’d been hearing about. My time with my publisher has had a fair share of ups and downs and I’ve always had a strong vision of how I wanted my books packaged. Unfortunately, my vision isn’t always what ended up on the bookshelves. This time out I get to see my vision through. I’m quite happy with the results.

6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?
I’ve always loved words and I grew up in a home where oral storytelling was an art. When I was younger I rebelled against the teachers that told me I wrote well. But eventually I had to give up the ghost. I didn’t choose writing, it chose me.

7: Do you own an ebook reading device?
Kindle.

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?
Love, love, love crime fiction. Daniel Woodrell, George Pelecanos, Walter Mosley, Jonathan Kellerman, Lawrence Block…I could go on forever. Currently I’m reading perhaps one of the greatest WRITERS period. A man that transcends genre. James Lee Burke’s THE GLASS RAINBOW. I don’t know whether to hate him or send him a pair of my boxers spritzed with cologne.

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?
I think trailers are a neat idea. Not sure they have any tangible impact on sales, but no one truly knows what makes books move. I have an animated trailer up at goanimate.com. Readers can check it out at my Facebook page. www.facebook.com/excusememissptd It’s the cutest thing.

10: What are you working on now that you can talk about?
Top secret. But shortly I plan on working on a follow-up to Excuse Me, Miss. 


No comments:

Post a Comment