Friday, July 30, 2010

Robert J. Duperre Interview




Robert J. Duperre Interview

1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?

I usually start writing between six and eight in the evening, and stop around eleven.  With my work schedule, it allows me to get a few moments of rest and eat dinner before getting to work.  The more I think about it, the more I realize my wife is a saint.  At the end of the day, I’m in her presence for maybe two hours a day (not including sleeping).  Hell, I miss myself sometimes.

2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?

Most times, I grab one of my fifteen half-filled notebooks and start jotting down ideas.  The majority of these ideas (ne – all) won’t amount to anything, but it helps get the motor humming.  Then, once I sit down to actually write, everything is done on the computer, unless there are changes I need to make down the road.  In that instance, I simply pull out yet another notebook, write a letter to myself that says, “fix this!” and then get back to work.  All of my corrections are done during the rewrite.   When I start a manuscript, I like to allow it to flow, without looking back.

3: What do you draw inspiration from?

Oh, wow, just about everything.  Books, television, movies, you name it.  And dreams enter in there, as well.  One of my favorite scenes from my first book came about because of a nightmare I had. 

4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?

Absolutely not.  I don’t want that much pressure.  The only stipulation I have is time.  If I sit down and only have a half-hour to write, I won’t do it.  I become distracted and lose focus.  I need to have a good block of hours available to create something decent.

5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?

I’m self-published.  My cover art is created by my partner-in-crime, Jesse Young.  He illustrates my novels, which makes them OUR novels now.  It’s a fantastic feeling to not be alone in an endeavor such as this.

6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?

Simply put, the love of stories and the imagination and desire to create them.  I have so many ideas that flounder about in my head, I have to get them out.  And not to be pompous, but I’m good at it.  It’s what I’ve always wanted to do, and I will do it.  That’s that.

7: Do you own an ebook reading device?

Yes, I own a Kindle, and it’s been my lifeline.  A major tripping point for me in the past has been the availability (or lack thereof) of decent reading materials.  Now, it’s all right there at my fingertips, anywhere I am.  It’s a nice feeling.  Once I finish one book, I can obtain another one in a hot minute.

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and what are you reading now?

I’ve had a continuing love affair with Clive Barker, John Banville, and, Steven Pirie.  As of this moment, I am completely immersed in reading fellow indie authors, and I’ve found some hidden (and not-so-hidden) gems.  It’s been nice.

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

I have a book trailer for my first book, The Fall.  I think they’re a wonderful tool for reaching folks who might not otherwise have found your work.  People can watch the trailer by visiting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7r6dqiGAxQ

10: How did you come up with the title of your latest book?

It was a long, drawn-out process.  The original title was “Balor”, but that felt too D&D for a horror novel.  Then, I realized that the series had broken down into the different seasons, so what better way to start an apocalyptic journey than with The Fall?

11: What are you working on now that you can talk about?

As of this moment, I am putting the finishing touches on “Dead of Winter”, the second book in this series (which is titled “The Rift”, by the way).  After that, it’s on to the third book.  In the meantime during breaks, I’ll be adding, bit-by-bit, to another novel that’s been in the works for a couple years, and also breaking that up by writing some new shorts.

In other words, I’ll be busy.



No comments:

Post a Comment