Monday, July 19, 2010

Linda S. Prather Interview



1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?

I normally write in the early morning between 5:30 and 7:00, and sometimes late at night between 11:00 and 2:00 a.m.

2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?

Almost all my work is now done on computer.  If I have a particular scene that isn’t flowing well I’ll take pen and paper outside, doodle, write, or draw until I’ve worked it out in my head.

3: What do you draw inspiration from?

    Real life, which is often stranger than fiction.  Personal experiences.

4: Do you set goals for yourself when you sit down to write such as word count?

No.  I like to write when the words are flowing, scenes are clear and character’s voices are strong.  Sometimes that turns out to be a lot of word and a lot of pages, others only a few.

5: Are you a published or a self published author and how do you come up with your cover art?

My first book, The Gifts, A Jacody Ives Mystery was published in paperback by Echelon Press in 2006.  The prequel, Sacred Secrets was published in Kindle format on 7/1/2010.  I’m hopeful in the near future of starting my own small press to produce paperbacks of my books, as well as hopefully some day other authors. 

The publisher designed the original cover for the paperback.  I designed the cover for the ebook of both The Gifts and Sacred Secrets.  I love photography and I love playing with photos to see what I can come up with.  Putting those together to show the theme of a writing project is the real challenge though.

6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?

My love of words, vivid imagination and stories in my head that have to be told.  I dream many of the scenes for my novels.  It’s almost like the characters are pushing me onward to tell their stories.

7: Do you own an ebook reading device?

Not yet, but hopefully one is in my future.  I downloaded the PC download for Amazon, and actually like it.  I’m afraid I may become addicted to ebooks.

8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?

I have far too many favorite authors to mention them all.  Kay Hooper is definitely on the top of my list.  I find her books to be real page turners.  This summer has been very hectic and I had a hard time finding time to read.  I’m currently re-reading Dean Koontz Odd Thomas.

9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

I have a book trailer on youtube for The Gifts.  I haven’t really considered whether I’m going to do one for Sacred Secrets.  I probably will though.

10: What are you working on now that you can talk about?

I’m currently working on drafts of the next two Jacody Ives Mysteries, as well as a possible legal thriller and suspense novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment