Saturday, May 15, 2010

Cliff Ball Interview

Cliff Ball
author of the novel "Don't Mess With Earth"
and the novella "Out of Time"


1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?

My most productive time is when I have total peace and quiet, and I’m not distracted by anything.


2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?

I start out on paper, using a pencil. Around halfway through, I start typing it on the computer.


3: What do you draw inspiration from?

I’m history buff and I like the imaginative ideas that come from conspiracy theories and sometimes stuff that makes no sense in the real world. You combine all of that and someone could fill in those mysteries with what they think happened.


4: Do you set yourself goals when you sit down to write such as word count?

I try to write a certain amount of pages whenever I start writing, that’s about my only goal.


5: Being a self published author how do you come up with your cover art?

The two novels I have out now, the cover art was a generic template that I used through the POD publisher I used. Now, I’ve discovered some software that can create book covers, so I’ll get back to you when I actually create my own cover art.


6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?

I enjoy writing and that’s what drives me. I don’t need to be known or famous, as long as I can tell a story, I’ll be happy.


7: Do you own an ebook reading devise?

No, I don’t. I did download the Kindle for PC, which got me to thinking about actually buying a Kindle. I used to be a snob about e-readers, but, my house is not big enough to hold the physical copies of every novel I ever want to read.


8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?

My favorite authors are Harry Turtledove, Eric Flint, S.M. Stirling, Tom Clancy, to name a few. I just finished Dracula by Bram Stoker, but, that was for my Victorian Era college English class.


9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?

I don’t really have an opinion on book trailers. I had one made for me, but, it doesn’t seem like it matters one way or another to my overall marketing and promotion of my novels.


10: What are you working on now that you can talk about?

I’m working on a novel about what-if the KGB decided to take the US down through the political system and the program continued long after the Soviet Union fell. It goes from Khrushchev’s time as Soviet Premier and how he initiates it, to the present day. Two main characters, one is the Usurper and the other one is the reluctant hero who has to take down the Usurper.

http://cliffball.blogspot.com/

http://cliffball.webs.com/

http://twitter.com/cliff_ball

http://www.digitalwritingservices.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment