Saturday, May 15, 2010

Nick Spalding Interview

Interview With Nick Spalding


1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?


Usually early afternoon, after a bacon sandwich and a coffee.


2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?


All on computer. My handwriting is worse than a six year old with ADHD, so it'd take me a month of Sundays to write anything - and then I wouldn't be able to understand it.


3: What do you draw inspiration from?


The world. It's a pretty silly place when you get right down to it. They say fact is stranger than fiction and I believe in that one hundred percent.


4: Do you set yourself goals when you sit down to write such as word count?


Well, if you read Life…With No Breaks, you'll see that my goal was to write an entire book in one sitting, with no time away from it, so when it comes to setting a goal, I reckon I take the brass ring. Usually, I can punt out between 3 and 5 thousand words a day.


5: Being a self published author how do you come up with your cover art?


Many sleepless nights and recreational drugs. It helps to have a friend who's a photoshop whiz as well.


6: What drove you to choose the career of a writer?


The idea of commuting from the bedroom across the hall to work sounded very appealing. Besides, I've always liked to write, so why not try and do it for a living, eh?


7: Do you own an ebook reading device?


Nope, not yet.


8: Who are some of your favorite authors and what are you reading now?


Terry Pratchett, Robert Rankin, Douglas Adams and Stephen King. I'm in a slightly more academic frame of mind at the moment, so am reading books around the second world war, such as The Pacific.


9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?


They seem a bit pointless to me. The whole point of a book is to let your imagination run riot. That's a bit hard to do if somebody has imprisoned the concepts of the book in a trailer (usually cheap and not very well made). Nope…not interested in that selling tool, myself.


10: What are you working on now that you can talk about?


Other than a stress ulcer? …I'm currently concentrating on my job as a pro marketing writer. I'll probably start a new book once things slow down a bit.


http://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/NickSpalding

http://www.amazon.com/Life-With-No-Breaks-ebook/dp/B003ICWJ4C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1273965348&sr=1-1


No comments:

Post a Comment