Tuesday, May 11, 2010

William Pauley III

KIPP POE SPEICHER VS. WILLIAM PAULEY III


1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?


9:46 – 9:47 PM. I find that I am most creative during that one minute of the day. But only on Thursdays, Fridays, and Wednesdays.


2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?


Most of my projects start out in my brain. Eventually I will write them down or type them up, but initially, it’s all in the brain. Brain, final answer.


3: What do you draw inspiration from?


Oh man, anything and everything. Life is pretty inspirational itself. Other than that, I’d have to say – strange instruments – especially the ones with deep baritone croaks, brown hats, leather flyswatters, hollowed-out egg shells, fencing matches, cocktail umbrellas… gah, so many things.


4: Do you set yourself goals when you sit down to write such as word count?


The only goal I have when writing is to not fucking fall asleep until I do a little bit of damage.


5: Being a self published author how do you come up with your cover art?


Up until DOOM MAGNETIC!, I did my own cover art. I like to paint and draw. I love art. I’ve been doing art just as long as writing has been doing me. The art for DOOM MAGNETIC! was done by an amazing artist named Alexander T. Cardosi of Covington, KY. His artwork exceeded my expectations. Us Kentucky boys have to stick together, you know.


6: What drives you to chose the career of being a writer?


You’re either a writer or you’re not. You don’t chose it. The stories find you and if they like how you tell them, then they’ll keep coming back.


7: Do you own an ebook reading devise?


I own a bookshelf.


8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?


So many, but I’ll keep it simple – Joe R. Lansdale, David Foster Wallace, Mark Z. Danielewski, Charles Bukowski, Franz Kafka, Roald Dahl, Nick Hornby, Dr. Seuss, Hunter S. Thompson, Stephen King. And I’d be lying if I didn’t mention Andersen Prunty and Jordan Krall. They rock my fucking socks off, man.


I’m currently reading Joe Hill’s HORNS and Carlton Mellick’s SUNSET WITH A BEARD.


9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?


I actually have two book trailers – one for DOOM MAGNETIC! and one for an anthology that I co-edited last year called TOE TAGS. I think they are great. They can be boring, but they can also be great.


10: What are you working on now that you can talk about?


Well, I have a few projects on my plate right now. The first is actually an art project for a book by Jordan Krall called KING SCRATCH. I did the cover art as well as a handful of interior illustrations. The book kicks serious ass. The story is sick. The illustrations are sick. Prepare to be disturbed. Release date - Summer 2010.


The second project is a sequel to TOE TAGS - not so surprisingly called TOE TAGS II. We’ve already handpicked 15 amazing authors and have received about half of the stories. There’s a lot of exciting news surrounding this volume, but we’re not ready to release the details just yet. Patience, young grasshopper. The book will be out in September 2010.


The final project is the follow-up to my novella DOOM MAGNETIC!. It is called VANDENBOOM – AN 8-BIT FACK-IT-ALL ADVENTURE IN 2D. It takes place in the same universe as DOOM MAGNETIC!, but features all new characters and a completely different story. It stands alone, so it’s not so much a sequel. It’s about a television demon named Doon Vandenboom who escapes his electric prison to wreak havoc in Tokyo. It will be around 30,000 words and will melt your fucking face. Plus, all the weapons used in the book are 8-bit Nintendo and Sega accessories – the Zapper, the Super Scope, the Power Glove. It’s all there baby, and oh yes, there will be blood… I’m currently shopping this one around, so any publishers interested in this little bizarro tale, feel free to contact me!

http://breaksaidsilence.blogspot.com/

http://www.amazon.com/s?_encoding=UTF8&search-alias=books&field-author=William%20Pauley%20III


No comments:

Post a Comment