Monday, May 24, 2010

Debra L Martin Interview


Debra L Martin Interview






1: What is the most productive time of the day for you to write?


I am a morning person. I like to write first thing before my work day begins and things get too crazy. Weekends are my most productive time to write because that’s when my co-author, David W Small, usually sends me his files. Having a co-author in CA is a bit challenging at times, but we manage to make it work most of the time.


2: Do you start your projects writing with paper and pen or is it all on the computer?


Most of our projects are on the computer because Dave is in CA and it’s much easier to share files that way. When we visit each other though, we like to plot out our current WIP on a white board before writing it all down.


3: What do you draw inspiration from?


Anything and everything, but especially when I bounce ideas off Dave. He is a retired Marine and has travelled the world and that gives him a much different perspective on things than my viewpoints. We also share many of the same reading interests, swapping books back and forth, and many times are inspired by an author’s writing style or a particular storyline.


4: Do you set yourself goals when you sit down to write such as word count?


No, I just write as much or as little as the scene or chapter in my head. I don’t get to write every day so some days are very productive and others are not.


5: Being a self-published author how do you come up with your cover art?


Dave and I both decide on our cover art. I’ve found some excellent sites for free use photos. I send samples to Dave and when we make our final choice, Dave designs the covers.


6: What drives you to choose the career of being a writer?


I love to tell stories and finding a co-author who feels the same way is awesome. Dave and I are very similar in formulating our ideas for our stories. We both write everything we want in our initial drafts, then edit, edit, edit.


7: Do you own an ebook reading devise?


Not yet, but I would love to own an iPad.


8: Who are some of your favorite authors and What are you reading now?


I love Jim Butcher, Joe Abercrombie, Patrick Rothfuss, Scott Lynch, and George RR Martin. I’m currently reading a trilogy by Brandon Sanderson. Fantasy is my favorite genre, but I vary my reading greatly from the local best seller to English history. I usually find myself reading 2-3 books at the same time.


9: What do you think of book trailers and do you have any plans to have any?


I think book trailers can be effective if they are done well, but we don’t have any plans to incorporate those right now into our marketing strategy.


10: What are you working on now that you can talk about?


Currently, Dave and I are working on a fantasy story involving an assassin, a witch and her twin daughters. Our assassin, Jeda, has been sent to kill a powerful witch and her daughters. When Jeda accepts the assignment, he has no idea that his life as a rising star in the assassin’s guild will be forever changed.


We are plotting out all the twists and turns of the story so I can’t elaborate too much more on it. We hope to have the story finished by the end of the year.


http://twoendsofthepen.blogspot.com/


http://www.otharia.com/


1 comment:

  1. Thank you Kipp for the opportunity to do this interview. Both Dave and I appreciate the exposure.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete